Program Director: Shail Patel, DPM, FACFAS
Other Program Faculty: Vito Petruzzella, DPM, FACFAS
Ronald Francesco, DPM, FACFAS
Tony DiStefano, DPM, FACFAS
Marco Ucciferri, DPM, FACFAS
Ali El-Saheli, DPM, FACFAS
Michael Schindle, MD
Foot & Ankle Care Associates, LLC
234 Stelton Rd.
Piscataway, NJ 08854
Phone: (732) 968-9494 Fax: (732) 968-4703
Duration: 12 months
Program Start and End Dates: September 1
Application Deadline: June 30
Stipend: $50,000 annually
- Perform clinical research of the fellows’ interest and submit at least two (2) papers to peer-reviewed journals during the fellowship year
- Present research at the ACFAS or AOFAS annual meeting
Program Summary / Training Goals:
- To help advance the foot and ankle surgeon’s understanding of the treatment of lower extremity pathology in the clinical setting. This includes the pre- and postoperative management of patients and interoperative decision-making.
- The fellow will gain further knowledge in choosing procedures for specific pathology, as well as understanding the timing of these procedures and how they affect the patients’ well-being.
- In addition to complementing the fellow’s didactic education, the faculty will enhance the ability of the fellow to manage complications of the lower extremity.
- A predefined skill set will be obtained by the foot and ankle fellow over the course of one year. In addition to the knowledge and understanding of lower extremity pathology and injuries, the specific skill set will be to organize and administer care to all patients at F&A; to describe and perform most foot & ankle reconstructive surgery including but not limited to total ankle replacement, ankle arthrodesis, hindfoot arthrodesis, foot/ankle/leg osteotomies, etc.; to be able to prepare F&A M&M reports on a monthly basis and be able to discern appropriate time & amount of surgery for all patients with lower extremity pathology.