Open Position: Director of Education
The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS) seeks an innovative and experienced association education professional. Are you looking for an opportunity to play a leading role in vision casting and implementing continuing education for the future of an organization? Does strong collaboration with members, committees, sponsors and the ACFAS team to provide both small and large-scale educational opportunities align with your skills, interests and career goals? ACFAS is searching for a self-motivated Director of Education that will focus on three key areas: education, meeting planning and sponsorship. We seek an individual that can pivot with ease, passionate about lifelong learning, skilled-in and values building of strong partnerships while serving the medical community. If working with a dedicated and engaged team with an Executive Director focused on a respectful, collaborative and high-performing work environment speaks to who you are and how you like to work, consider this opportunity.
The American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (ACFAS), conveniently located near O’Hare International Airport, and a short walk from the CTA Blue Line, is a national medical specialty association with over 7,700 members. ACFAS is dedicated to inspiring excellence in foot and ankle care for every patient by every member and empowering our members to be proven leaders and lifelong learners who positively impact the lives of their patients.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Education will lead their staff and collaborate with volunteers in the development and implementation of ACFAS’ educational strategies from design and concept to output while following best practices for programming. The Director of Education will be keenly focused on growing the ACFAS brand as a trusted, unbiased source of premiere continuing medical education (CME) for foot and ankle surgeons while driving member value. This role is responsible for planning, developing and managing existing educational programs, including the Annual Scientific Conference and Exhibition, along with managing surgical skills courses, didactic seminars and workshops and other in person and virtual learning opportunities. Additionally, this role will serve as a member of the ACFAS leadership team and work closely with senior management to ensure effective coordination and communication of activities across the College and support an innovative, high-performing and respectful team culture.
HOW YOU'LL SERVE OUR MEMBERS:
- Direct the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of all in-person, virtual, webinar and podcast education activities
- Maintains ACFAS’ accreditation of education sponsorship through CPME, the state and other governing bodies
- Direct meeting planning, exhibit hall and sponsorship for the Annual Scientific Conference and Exhibition and oversee all planning elements of the program including session and speaker management, logistics, site procurement, registration, receptions/entertainment, regulations, food and beverage, room configuration, security etc.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director, and legal counsel as appropriate, for contract negotiation with service providers, hotels and exhibit facilities, AV contracts, drayage, peripheral events for all ACFAS programs and meetings
- Serve as the staff representative to several committees to support the implementation of ACFAS’ strategic initiatives and business plan. Works with volunteer leaders to plan and implement annual educational programming and speakers/faculty, as well as expands education offerings, including a robust virtual education program
- Lead, manage and mentor three Education Managers to achieve the objectives of the department and support their professional development
- Assess program viability and develop a successful business model to support educational goals. Participate in annual budget development; manage and achieve all budget targets
- Maintain awareness of and be responsive to emerging trends, advancements, challenges and other topics of interest to members and sponsors. Works with member volunteers on program development that aligns with the needs of the professional community served. Maximizes sponsor engagement while maintain strong quality control measures
- Analyzes all post meeting data, financial information, speaker evaluations and exhibitor interest areas including registration demographics needed for planning future educational meetings and beneficial exhibitor partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred. Concentration in Instructional Design, Adult Education, Organizational Development or related field a plus
- Certified Meeting Planner (CMP), Certified Association Executive (CAE) and/or other relevant certifications a plus
- Minimum of 7 years education program development (association experience required) including/ with 3 years of supervisory experience
- 20% travel required; including travel to annual conference and occasional evening conference calls
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of education development for in-person and virtual environments including learning management technology, Microsoft Suite, Office 365 and other commonly used software
- Meeting planning experience, including large conference and exhibition experience required
- Adept at building positive and productive relationships with volunteer leaders, subject matter experts and other stakeholders
- Ability to develop and lead a high performing team of three direct reports
- Ability to provide decisive leadership and thoughtful coaching and guidance to staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Understanding of association management principles and best practices; ability to maintain a member-focused mindset
** For the short-term, our staff is working remote due to COVID-19. As appropriate, we will transition back to an in-office position.
WHAT WE OFFER:
ACFAS offers excellent benefits to its employees including medical, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability, vacation and 401K, a generous flexible work schedule, and a one day per week telecommuting option.
If you seek an impactful position, share our passion for education and seek a fun work environment, please submit your resume and cover letter to: https://acfas.recruitpro.com/jobs/132160-30684.html
ACFAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer