Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Cast Your Vote: ACFAS Tri-State Region Election
Your vote is needed by the deadline of December 28, 2018!
After a call for volunteers in the states of New Jersey and Delaware to serve as the new Director of Education for the ACFAS Tri-State Region, I am pleased to announce that three of our peers have volunteered for this open officer position, which will be filled by an election. You can access their CVs and statements of interest here:
Candidate Statements of Interest
All eligible voters in the Region are being asked to cast their vote for the new Director of Education, with the top-vote getting candidate being elected to the open position.
In order to ensure no multiple ballots are submitted, you will be asked your member ID number. Please note, ballot responses will not be correlated with your member number.
Your link to your electronic ballot will be sent to you via email. All votes are due by December 28. Election results will be announced shortly after voting is closed. Thank you for taking the time to submit your vote.
Keith Cook, DPM, FACFAS Tri-State Region President
Need Money for ACFAS 2019?
Local ACFAS Regions Have Funds to Support Your Research Efforts
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in February? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Regions can help!
If you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to your Region's President (names and email addresses are available on the form) by Thursday, January 31, 2019. Each Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Regions are excited to be able to support the next generation of researchers in their parts of the country.
Tri-State Region financial support will be approved on a first come, first served basis. A maximum of two posters per residency program will receive financial support.
The following must also be met:
1. Submit paperwork prior to deadline (i.e. cannot present form at the Annual Scientific Conference region meeting).
2. Lead author on poster/manuscript.
3. Physically be present at the region meeting to receive check.
For manuscript authors, financial rewards will be provided for the primary author only presenting at the Annual Scientific Conference. An author will only receive a reward for one manuscript, regardless of the number they are presenting.
Register Today for the ACFAS Northeast Region Annual Complications Seminar
ACFAS Tri-State Region supports the January 19, 2019
ACFAS Northeast Region Annual Complications Seminar - Register Today!
The Foundation for Podiatric Medicine and the ACFAS Northeast Region are pleased to announce that we are hosting our annual Complications Seminar on Saturday, January 19 as part of the 2019 New York Clinical Conference. Mark your calendar for this not-to-be-missed seminar.
Our residency programming at the Clinical Conference has been greeted with tremendous enthusiasm and serves as an opportunity to highlight the great training our residents receive.
Take part in this annual interactive program as local residency programs present their complications and how they are treated. Plus, take advantage of the opportunity to give programs your insight on how to resolve their complications.
Residents from the Northeast and Tri-State Regions are invited to present on any type of complication from surgical, medical or diagnostic issues. Open discussion and questions will be encouraged. The audience may also bring complications that can be discussed as a group for treatment consensus or opinions.
The seminar will be open to all conference attendees, with a special invitation extended to current podiatric medical students.
Attendees will earn CME through their registration to attend the NY19 Podiatric Clinical Conference.
Participation: Residency Directors and/or Assistant Directors are encouraged to attend and participate.
- Residents may present a case complication via PowerPoint on one of three topics: Surgical, Medical, or Diagnostic.
- Each residency program is limited to ONE case presentation, limited to eight minutes.
- A diagnostic dilemma should be identified in each case. We will then have an interactive discussion for five minutes led by the ACFAS Northeast Region Board Members.
- Cases with some follow-up are encouraged, as they will foster a richer discussion.
For more information, contact:
Robert Fridman, DPM, FACFAS, Northeast Region President
DISCLAIMER: The ACFAS Education & Scientific Affairs Committee has not independently evaluated the educational content or the CPME or FDA compliance requirements. Therefore, any use of the ACFAS name is not to be construed as an endorsement of this program.
ACFAS Tri-State Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Tri-State Region: (Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania)
The Region held a meeting of its members on March 22 in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Overview of redistricting from Division to Regions
- Continued support of Resident and Post Grad Fellow Poster/Manuscript presenters at the Annual Scientific Conference
- Overview of events and support within the Tri-State Region over the past 12 months
- Promotion of On the Road course planned for December 2018
- Expansion of the Annual Tips, Pearls and Complications Seminar
- Discussed the need for members in each state in the Region to seek nomination in upcoming elections to ensure a broad representation
The Tri-State Region supported local resident and post-grad fellows who presented posters and manuscripts at the conference. They provided funding to over 24 poster presenters and two manuscript presenters this year.
Heidi Godoy, DPM, was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo. Congratulations!
Pictured are Keith Cook, DPM, FACFAS, ACFAS Tri-State Region President and Heidi Godoy, DPM.
ACFAS Tri-State Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2018 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Tri-State Region is Stephanie Golding from Temple University.
Pictured are Stephanie Golding and Keith Cook, DPM, FACFAS, Tri-State Region president. Congratulations to Stephanie on being chosen as an ACFAS 2018 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Tri-State Region Funds Resident Poster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the Tri-State Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Treatment of Traumatic Degloving Injury of the Foot Using Biologic Dressing in Pediatric Patient
Resident Presenters: Brett T. Williams, DPM; Sunny J. Patel, DPM; Richard Kaufman, DPM; Hahnemann University Hospital
- Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis for Distal Tibia Fractures
Post Graduate Fellow Presenters: Spencer J. Monaco, DPM, AACFAS; The Philadelphia Foot and Ankle Fellowship; Ted C. Lai, DPM, AACFAS; Mon Valley Fellowship
- Malignant Hidradenocarcinoma in the Lower Extremity: A Case Report
Resident Presenters: Brendan J. Kane, DPM; Juliana P. Paternina, DPM; Gregory J. Santamaria, DPM; Christopher M. Heisey, DPM; Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Resurgance of Viral Load and Incidence of Kaposi's Sarcoma
Resident Presenters: Benjamin L. Marder, DPM; Megan J. Sandora, DPM; Andreas C. Kaikis, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Exophiala Eumycetoma in a Renal Transplant Recipient
Resident Presenters: Amy E. Bruce, DPM; Chris S. Bourke, DPM; William M. Wolfe, DPM; Chrisbel N. Dafeamekpor DPM; Aneta Strus, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- A Rare Case of Concomitant Flexor Digitorum Accessorius Longus and Accessory Peroneocalcaneus Internus: The Etiology of Chronic Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Joshua K. Hollinger, DPM, AACFAS; Pennsylvania Intensive Lower Extremity Fellowship; Resident Presenters: Matthew R. Rementer, DPM; Lindsy L. Kragt, DPM; Pennsylvania Intensive Lower Extremity Fellowship
- Use of Medial Femoral Condyle Osteo-Periosteal-Cutaneous Flap for Ankle Arthrodesis After Failed Total Ankle Arthroplasty
Resident Presenter: William M. Wolfe, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Physiologic Reconstruction of the Ankle Syndesmosis After Heterotopic Ossification of a Neglected Salter-Harris Type 3 Injury in a High Caliber Athlete
Resident Presenter: Khoa D. Nguyen, DPM; Morristown Memorial Hospital
- Post-traumatic Infected Avascular Necrosis of the Talus Treated with Talectomy and Rectus Abdominus Free Flap
Resident Presenter: Juliana P. Paternina, DPM; Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Subtalar Joint Distraction Arthrodesis with Titanium Truss: A Case Report
Resident Presenter: Michael Howell, DPM; Western Pennsylvania Hospital
- Surgical Treatment of Charcot-Marie-Tooth Neuropathy X Type 1
Resident Presenter: Andrew D. Peacock, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Excision of a Distal Fibular Osteoid Osteoma in a 16-Year-Old Male: A Case Study
Resident Presenter: Jerod S. Stanley, DPM; Heritage Valley Beaver
- The Effect and Characteristics of Wagstaffe Avulsion Fracture Involvement on Fixation of Supination External-type Ankle Fractures Resident Presenters: Laura E. Sansosti, DPM; Whitney Ellis-McConnell, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Computerized Tomography Measurement of Syndesmotic Reduction in Fractures of the Distal Tibial Articular Surface
Early Weightbearing Following Arthrodesis of the First Metatarsal-Medial Cuneiform Joint: A Systematic Review
Resident Presenter: Amanda Crowell, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Acute Compartment Syndrome of the Foot due to Frostbite: Literature Review and Case Report
Resident Presenters: Brian J. Schneekloth, DPM; Roberto A. Brandão, DPM; Jason St. John, DPM; Travis M. Langan, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Mercy
- The Value of Diagnosing Lower Extremity Osteomyelitis Using Erythocyte Sedimentation Rate
Resident Presenters: Melody S. Stouder, DPM; Colleen Law, DPM; St Luke's Hospital, Allentown Campus
- Sural Flap Use for the Treatment of Wounds with Underlying Osteomyelitis: Graft Size a Predictor in Outcome
Resident Presenters: Sham J. Persaud, DPM; Anthony M. Chesser, DPM; Western Pennsylvania Hospital
- Analysis of Risk Factors for 30 Day Readmission to a Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Service
Resident Presenters: Andrew B. Peacock, DPM; William M. Wolfe, DPM; Andreas C. Kaikis, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Timing of Surgical Site Infections in Foot and Ankle Surgery
Resident Presenter: Jason M. St. John, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
- Interobserver vs Intraobserver Reliability using the Eichenholtz Classification of the Charcot Foot: A Retrospective Comparative Study Resident Presenters: Augusta K. Dunse, DPM; Roberto A. Brandão, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
- Stem Cell Supplementation in Lateral Ankle Stabilization
Resident Presenter: Laura Shin, DPM, PhD; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
- Fixation of the Opening Wedge Calcaneal Osteotomy with Ultrasonic Bioresorbable Polymer Pin Utilizing Bone Welding Principle
Resident Presenters: Brandy H. Grahn, DPM; Amy M. Kruger, DPM; St. Luke's Hospital, Allentown Campus
- The Effect of Obesity of Total Ankle Arthroplasty Complication: A Systematic Review
Resident Presenter: Laura E. Sansosti, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Retrospective Review of Pediatric Foot and Ankle Trampoline Injuries
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Joshua K. Hollinger, DPM, AACFAS; Pennsylvania Intensive Lower Extremity Fellowship; Allyson R. Bress, DPM; Bryn Mawr Hospital; Caitlin C. Dietrich, DPM; Lisa M. Thatcher, DPM; Phoenixville Hospital
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenters:
- Anatomic Feasibility of Distal Fibula Bicortical Screw Fixation with Lateral Neutralization Plating
Resident Presenter: Laura E. Sansosti, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- A Five-Year Review of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures Published in The Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery.
Resident Presenter: Timothy Greene, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Charcot Neuroarthropathy: A New Classification Model with Prognostic Measures
Resident Presenters: Travis M. Langan, DPM; Bethany J. Staehnke, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
Congratulations to these resident poster and manuscript authors on their research efforts.