Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Tri-State Region Meeting
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Tri-State Region: (Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania)
Date: Thursday, March 22
Location: Exhibit Hall (lunch meeting)
This information will also be listed in your onsite conference brochure.
Your Region will be holding a meeting of its members in conjunction with the ACFAS Scientific Conference in Nashville. We hope that you can join us to meet and network with your Region officers and have a hand in the upcoming year's plans for the Region.
Attend to Learn, Plan and Win!
All ACFAS members who attend their Region meetings will be placed in a Region drawing to win an Amazon Echo. Your raffle ticket will be distributed at your Region meeting.
See you in Nashville!
Tri-State Region Supporting Local Residents and Post-Grad Fellow Researchers
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in March? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Tri-State Region can help!
If you live within the Tri-State Region, you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference, and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to Dr. Keith Cook by Friday, March 9, 2018. The Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received, and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Tri-State Region is excited to be able to support the next generation of local researchers!
ACFAS Tri-State Region Funds Resident Poster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the Tri-State Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Treatment of Traumatic Degloving Injury of the Foot Using Biologic Dressing in Pediatric Patient
Resident Presenters: Brett T. Williams, DPM; Sunny J. Patel, DPM; Richard Kaufman, DPM; Hahnemann University Hospital
- Minimally Invasive Plate Osteosynthesis for Distal Tibia Fractures
Post Graduate Fellow Presenters: Spencer J. Monaco, DPM, AACFAS; The Philadelphia Foot and Ankle Fellowship; Ted C. Lai, DPM, AACFAS; Mon Valley Fellowship
- Malignant Hidradenocarcinoma in the Lower Extremity: A Case Report
Resident Presenters : Brendan J. Kane, DPM; Juliana P. Paternina, DPM; Gregory J. Santamaria, DPM; Christopher M. Heisey, DPM; Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Resurgance of Viral Load and Incidence of Kaposi's Sarcoma
Resident Presenters: Benjamin L. Marder, DPM; Megan J. Sandora, DPM; Andreas C. Kaikis, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Exophiala Eumycetoma in a Renal Transplant Recipient
Resident Presenters: Amy E. Bruce, DPM; Chris S. Bourke, DPM; William M. Wolfe, DPM; Chrisbel N. Dafeamekpor DPM; Aneta Strus, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- A Rare Case of Concomitant Flexor Digitorum Accessorius Longus and Accessory Peroneocalcaneus Internus: The Etiology of Chronic Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Joshua K. Hollinger, DPM, AACFAS; Pennsylvania Intensive Lower Extremity Fellowship; Resident Presenters: Matthew R. Rementer, DPM; Lindsy L. Kragt, DPM; Pennsylvania Intensive Lower Extremity Fellowship
- Use of Medial Femoral Condyle Osteo-Periosteal-Cutaneous Flap for Ankle Arthrodesis After Failed Total Ankle Arthroplasty
Resident Presenter: William M. Wolfe, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Physiologic Reconstruction of the Ankle Syndesmosis After Heterotopic Ossification of a Neglected Salter-Harris Type 3 Injury in a High Caliber Athlete
Resident Presenter: Khoa D. Nguyen, DPM; Morristown Memorial Hospital
- Post-traumatic Infected Avascular Necrosis of the Talus Treated with Talectomy and Rectus Abdominus Free Flap
Resident Presenter: Juliana P. Paternina, DPM; Jersey Shore University Medical Center
- Subtalar Joint Distraction Arthrodesis with Titanium Truss: A Case Report
Resident Presenter: Michael Howell, DPM; Western Pennsylvania Hospital
- Surgical Treatment of Charcot-Marie-Tooth Neuropathy X Type 1
Resident Presenter: Andrew D. Peacock, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Excision of a Distal Fibular Osteoid Osteoma in a 16-Year-Old Male: A Case Study
Resident Presenter: Jerod S. Stanley, DPM; Heritage Valley Beaver
- The Effect and Characteristics of Wagstaffe Avulsion Fracture Involvement on Fixation of Supination External-type Ankle Fractures Resident Presenters: Laura E. Sansosti, DPM; Whitney Ellis-McConnell, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Computerized Tomography Measurement of Syndesmotic Reduction in Fractures of the Distal Tibial Articular Surface
Early Weightbearing Following Arthrodesis of the First Metatarsal-Medial Cuneiform Joint: A Systematic Review
Resident Presenter: Amanda Crowell, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Acute Compartment Syndrome of the Foot due to Frostbite: Literature Review and Case Report
Resident Presenters: Brian J. Schneekloth, DPM; Roberto A. Brandão, DPM; Jason St. John, DPM; Travis M. Langan, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Mercy
- The Value of Diagnosing Lower Extremity Osteomyelitis Using Erythocyte Sedimentation Rate
Resident Presenters: Melody S. Stouder, DPM; Colleen Law, DPM; St Luke's Hospital, Allentown Campus
- Sural Flap Use for the Treatment of Wounds with Underlying Osteomyelitis: Graft Size a Predictor in Outcome
Resident Presenters: Sham J. Persaud, DPM; Anthony M. Chesser, DPM; Western Pennsylvania Hospital
- Analysis of Risk Factors for 30 Day Readmission to a Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Service
Resident Presenters: Andrew B. Peacock, DPM; William M. Wolfe, DPM; Andreas C. Kaikis, DPM; Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
- Timing of Surgical Site Infections in Foot and Ankle Surgery
Resident Presenter: Jason M. St. John, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
- Interobserver vs Intraobserver Reliability using the Eichenholtz Classification of the Charcot Foot: A Retrospective Comparative Study Resident Presenters: Augusta K. Dunse, DPM; Roberto A. Brandão, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
- Stem Cell Supplementation in Lateral Ankle Stabilization
Resident Presenter: Laura Shin, DPM, PhD; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
- Fixation of the Opening Wedge Calcaneal Osteotomy with Ultrasonic Bioresorbable Polymer Pin Utilizing Bone Welding Principle
Resident Presenters: Brandy H. Grahn, DPM; Amy M. Kruger, DPM; St. Luke's Hospital, Allentown Campus
- The Effect of Obesity of Total Ankle Arthroplasty Complication: A Systematic Review
Resident Presenter: Laura E. Sansosti, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Retrospective Review of Pediatric Foot and Ankle Trampoline Injuries
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Joshua K. Hollinger, DPM, AACFAS; Pennsylvania Intensive Lower Extremity Fellowship; Allyson R. Bress, DPM; Bryn Mawr Hospital; Caitlin C. Dietrich, DPM; Lisa M. Thatcher, DPM; Phoenixville Hospital
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenters:
- Anatomic Feasibility of Distal Fibula Bicortical Screw Fixation with Lateral Neutralization Plating
Resident Presenter: Laura E. Sansosti, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- A Five-Year Review of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures Published in The Journal of Foot & Ankle Surgery.
Resident Presenter: Timothy Greene, DPM; Temple University Hospital
- Charcot Neuroarthropathy: A New Classification Model with Prognostic Measures
Resident Presenters: Travis M. Langan, DPM; Bethany J. Staehnke, DPM; University of Pittsburgh Med Center Mercy
Congratulations to these resident poster and manuscript authors on their research efforts.
ACFAS Tri-State Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2017 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Tri-State Region is Anthony Samaan from Temple University.
Congratulations to Anthony on being chosen as an ACFAS 2017 Region Scholar!