Gulf States Region
Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Gulf States Region Meeting
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Gulf States Region: (Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas)
Date: Saturday, March 24
Location: Exhibit Hall (lunch meeting)
This information will also be listed in your onsite conference brochure.
Your Region will be holding a meeting of its members in conjunction with the ACFAS Scientific Conference in Nashville. We hope that you can join us to meet and network with your Region officers and have a hand in the upcoming year's plans for the Region.
Attend to Learn, Plan and Win!
All ACFAS members who attend their Region meetings will be placed in a Region drawing to win an Amazon Echo. Your raffle ticket will be distributed at your Region meeting.
See you in Nashville!
Gulf States Region Supporting Local Residents and Post-Grad Fellow Researchers
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in March? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Gulf States Region can help!
If you live within the Gulf States Region, you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference, and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to Dr. Javier La Fontaine by Friday, March 9, 2018. The Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received, and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Gulf States Region is excited to be able to support the next generation of local researchers!
ACFAS Gulf States Region Funds Resident and Post Grad Fellow Poster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Gulf States Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Intravascular Epithelial Papillary Hyperplasia in a Pediatric Patient
Resident Presenter: Beau D. Willis DPM; University of Texas Health Science Center
- Interposition Ankle Arthroplasty Using Acellular Dermal Matrix: A Case Report
Resident Presenters: Kyle J. Duncan, DPM; Jordan Ernst, DPM, MS; Dalton Ryba, DPM; John Peter Smith Hospital
- Treatment of Cystic Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthroses with an Expandable Reamer, Arthroscopic Subtalar Joint Arthrodesis and Delayed Lateral-approach Total Ankle Arthroplasty in a Patient with Superficial Peroneal Neuropathy
Resident Presenters: John Yuhas, DPM; Evangelos M. Kyprios, DPM; Scott and White Memorial Hospital
- Plantar Talar Head Autogenic Harvesting for Repair of Talar Dome Osteochondral Lesions
Resident Presenters: Alexander D. Garza, DPM; Joseph E. Harvey, DPM; St. Joseph Medical Center
- Minimally Invasive Coablation Therapy and Debridement for the Achilles Tendon
Resident Presenters: Sunil K. Jeganathan, DPM; Kirubel T. Gebresenbet, DPM; St. Joseph Medical Center
- Bipartite Medial Cuneiform with Traumatic Lisfranc Rupture in College-Level Athlete
Resident Presenters: Jared T. Gremillion, DPM; Matthew McCabe, DPM; Christus St. Patrick Hospital
- Complications after Primary Arthroscopic Lateral Ankle Stabilization for Military Related Chronic Lateral Ankle Instability
Resident Presenters: Evangelos M. Kyprios, DPM; Himani Patel, DPM; Scott and White Memorial Hospital
- Risk Factors Associated with Sub Second Metatarsal Metatarsalgia After Hallux Valgus Corrective Surgery
Resident Presenter: Evangelos M. Kyprios, DPM; Scott and White Memorial Hospital
- Incidence of Diastasis Between the 1st and 2nd Metatarsal Following Lapidus Arthrodesis with or without Intermetatarsal-Cuneiform Fixation for Treatment of Hallux Valgus
Resident Presenters: Kyle D. Lindow, DPM; Paul J. Brancheau, DPM; Hunt Regional Medical Center
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenter:
- Lapidus Arthrodesis Technique: Low Nonunion Rate and Early Weightbearing
Resident Presenter: Matthew McCabe, DPM; Christus St. Patrick Hospital
Congratulations to these resident poster authors on their research efforts.
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their careers as foot and ankle surgeons.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo. They are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.