Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Southeast Region Funds Poster Research at the 2021 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Southeast Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at ACFAS 2021 in Las Vegas:
- Incidence of complications following Tri-Planar Instrumented Correction System for Treatment of Hallux Valgus Deformity: A Case Series
Kathryn T. Cecere, DPM and Gregory A. Foote, DPM, AACFAS
- Rare Systemic Cutaneous Allergic Manifestation After Placement of Nitinol Staple: A Case Report
Vanessa M. Bodden, DPM
- A Tale of Two Frames: A Staged Approach to Septic Ankle Arthritis Using Multiplanar External Fixation and an Autologous Fibular Graft
John R. Greaves, DPM
- Fibular Lengthening Osteotomy Following Traumatic Fibular Malunion
Tyler A. Gloschat, DPM
- Management and Deformity Correction with Multiplanar External Fixator after Ischemia - Reperfusion Injury to the Lower Extremity
Shruti Dosi, DPM, MPH
- Utilization of Dehydrated Amniotic Membrane and Vancomycin Powder to Reduce Postoperative Wound Complication in Total Ankle Arthroplasty
Joshua E. Epstein, DPM, AACFAS, Elias L. Gomatos, DPM, Thomas C. Arena, DPM and Tarak Amin, DPM
- Midfoot Mystery Unraveled: A Custom 3D Printed Replacement Solution
Jason C. Spector, DPM, MS, AACFAS
- Use of Subchondroplasty in the Treatment of Stress Fractures of the Calcaneus and Talus
Vanisaben Patel, DPM and Sarah A. Gostich, DPM
- Bilateral Lipoma Arborescens Induced Peroneal Tendon Longitudinal Tear
Jacob M. Perkins, DPM, Conor R. Keeley, DPM and Joseph A. Cote, DPM
- Utility and Diversity of Expanding Indications for Balloon Osteoplasty in Rearfoot Surgery
Conor R. Keeley, DPM, Jacob M. Perkins, DPM and Morgan E. Garcia, DPM
- The Incidence of Syndesmotic and Tibiofibular Ligament Impingement in Routine Ankle Arthroscopy
Gregory A. Foote, DPM, AACFAS
- Correlating Osteomyelitis Causing Organisms and Geography: A Retrospective Analysis Across the United States
Sarina F. Epstein, DPM and Gina Nguyen, DPM
- Subjective Patient Outcomes Following Primary Implantation of Synthetic Hydrogel Polymer for Management of First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Osteoarthritis
Elias L. Gomatos, DPM, Joshua E. Epstein, DPM, AACFAS and Ashley V. Mosseri, DPM
- Trephine Tarsometatarsal Joint Arthrodesis Utilizing Locally Harvested Bone Dowels: A Case Series
Morgan E. Garcia, DPM, Jacqueline C. Lucke, DPM and Vikram A. Bala, DPM, AACFAS
- Amniotic Membrane Injections for Treatment of Posterior Tibial Tendon Tears
Tyler R. Prager, DPM and Nicole L. Zahn, DPM
- Role of Regional Bone Mineral Density on Ankle Fracture Pattern
Cody J. Togher, DPM, Stephanie L. Golding, DPM and Jordan B. Butterfield, DPM
- Reduction of Calcaneal Fractures with External Fixator Assistance Compared to Sinus Tarsi and Lateral Extensile Approach: A Retrospective Study
Garrett B. Nguyen, DPM and Cody J. Togher, DPM
- Medial Plantar Fasciocutaneous Artery Flap in High Risk Diabetic Foot: A Case Series
Christopher W. Hogue, DPM, AACFAS and Nicole N. Mehr, DPM, AACFAS
- Arthrodesis in Acute and Chronic Lisfranc's Patients: A Retrospective Cohort Study
Deepika Ratanala, DPM
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research!
ACFAS Southeast Region 2021 Meeting Outcomes
Andre Williams, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region President, led a virtual meeting of Region members on May 25, the week after the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference. The meeting provided an opportunity for members to meet Region officers and hear about our support and plans for the upcoming year including:
- Region support of members during the pandemic
- Region support of poster/manuscript presenters
- Recognition of Region Scholars
- Region Learning Programs for 2021-2022 with the Southeast Region scheduled May 20-21, 2022 in Orlando, FL.
- Support of ACFAS Student Clubs at Barry
Attendees were entered into a drawing for a $100 Amazon Gift Card. The winners were Jacqueline Brill, DPM, FACFAS and Mike Thaker, DPM, FACFAS.
ACFAS Southeast Region Supports Student Scholar
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Region, and are usually the president-elect or an officer of the their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local ACFAS Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. Pictured below is Adam McAteer, the 2021 Region Scholar from the Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine.
Congratulations to Adam for being chosen as an ACFAS 2021 Region Scholar!
Save the Date: New Region Learning Programs
Are you looking forward to getting back to in-person meetings and educational offerings? It's almost time to get back to normal!
The College is launching a new pilot educational Region Learning Program. These two-day courses will combine case presentations, lightning lectures and hands-on labs, enabling attendees to gain insight into the depth and breadth of your current foot and ankle knowledge. Attendees will walk away with a better understanding of contributing factors associated with foot and ankle surgery complications and will be able to apply new skills to help you maximize function and restore structure.
The College has scheduled courses in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest Region for Fall 2021, and courses will be held in the Big West, Tri-State and Southeast Regions in Spring 2022.
Please watch your email for more information to come!
ACFAS Southeast Region New Officer Elected
Dear ACFAS Southeast Region Members:
With the recent Southeast Region Call for Volunteers process, one ACFAS member submitted his interest, and is now the new ACFAS Southeast Region Secretary/Treasurer:
Teddy Musselman, DPM, FACFAS
Congratulations to Dr. Musselman.
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their career as a foot and ankle surgeon.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws, and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.