Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Midwest Region Funds Poster Research at the 2021 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Big West Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at ACFAS 2021 in Las Vegas:
- The Role of Extracorporeal Pulse Activation Treatment on Pain Reduction with Peroneus Longus Tendinitis
Austin M. Chinn, DPM
- Posterior Malleolar Fracture Reduction Utilizing a Trans-Fibular Approach: An Innovative Technique and Case Report
Paul Tanner Shaffer, DPM
- Is Second Metatarsal Shortening Osteotomy Necessary When Performing a Lapidus Bunionectomy?
Ryan J. Rodela, DPM
- Comparison of Regenerative Injection Therapy and Traditional Therapy for Sub-acute and Chronic Proximal Plantar Fasciitis
Christopher J. Betrus, DPM, AACFAS
- Effect of BMA Harvest Site on Length of Hospital Admission Following Complex Lower Extremity Surgery
Rachel Ellen Egdorf-Gerber, DPM and Lauren N. Kerr, DPM<>
- Using Thermal Imaging Cameras to Track Treatment of Chronic Lower Extremity Wounds
Rachel Ellen Egdorf-Gerber, DPM and Lauren N. Kerr, DPM
- Transmetatarsal Amputations - Outcomes of Primary Healing vs. Secondary Healing
Clare E. Cormier, DPM and Zachary K. Janes, DPM
- Utilizing Volumetric Analysis to Guide Surgical Decision making in the Surgical Treatment of Bone Cysts in the Military
Melinda Nicholes, DPM
- A Rare Complication Following High Energy Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy in a Lupus Patient: A Cautionary Case Study
Melinda Nicholes, DPM
- A Rare Case of Lower Extremity Beta Hemolytic Streptococcus Group G Necrotizing Fasciitis in a Military Recruit
Melinda Nicholes, DPM
- Radiographic Outcomes After Custom Total Talus with Total Ankle Arthroplasty - A Retrospective Review of 2 Cases
Steven A. Tocci, DPM
- The Lateral Hallux Stress Dorsiflexion View for Evaluation of Midterm Hallux Limitus/Hallux Rigidus: A Prospective Assessment of Diagnostic Accuracy and Intermediate Term Outcomes with Cheilectomy
Zachary J. Lubek, DPM
- Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession versus Open Gastrocnemius Recession: A systematic Review Comparing Postoperative Complications
Robert A. Burdi, DPM and Zachary K. Janes, DPM
- Staged Open Reduction Internal Fixation vs. External Fixation with Limited Internal Fixation of Severe Pilon Fractures: A meta-analysis of postoperative complications
Robert A. Burdi, DPM and Daniel J. Ryan, DPM
- How Important is Lesser Metatarsal Osteotomy in Preventing Hammertoe Recurrence?
Timothy Cheung, PhD, CPT
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research!
ACFAS Midwest Region 2021 Meeting Outcomes
Jeffrey Baker, DPM, FACFAS, Midwest Region President, led a virtual meeting of Region members on May 11, the week before the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference. The meeting provided an opportunity for members to meet Region officers and hear about our support and plans for the upcoming year including:
- Region support of members during the pandemic
- Region support of poster/manuscript presenters
- Recognition of Region Scholars
- Region Learning Programs for 2021-2022 with the Midwest Region scheduled for November 5-6 in St. Louis. Registration is now open.
- Support of ACFAS Student Clubs at DMU and Scholl
Attendees were entered into a drawing for one of two $100 Amazon Gift Cards. The winners were Ryan Rodela, DPM and Katherine Leininger.
ACFAS Midwest Region Supports Student Scholars
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Region, and are usually the president-elect or an officer of the their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local ACFAS Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. Pictured below are 2021 Region Scholars Erica Reed of the Des Moines University College of Podiatric Medicine and Carly Goehring of the Dr. William M. Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine.
Congratulations to Erica and Carly for being chosen as an ACFAS 2021 Region Scholars!
Save the Date: New Region Learning Programs
November 5-6, 2021
St. Louis, MO
Are you looking forward to getting back to in-person meetings and educational offerings? It's almost time to get back to normal!
The College is launching a new pilot educational Region Learning Program. These two-day courses will combine case presentations, lightning lectures and hands-on labs, enabling attendees to gain insight into the depth and breadth of your current foot and ankle knowledge. Attendees will walk away with a better understanding of contributing factors associated with foot and ankle surgery complications and will be able to apply new skills to help you maximize function and restore structure.
The College has scheduled courses in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest Region for Fall 2021, and courses will be held in the Big West, Tri-State and Southeast Regions in Spring 2022.
Please watch your email for more information to come!
ACFAS Midwest Region New Officer Elected
Dear ACFAS Midwest Region Members:
As a result of the recent Mid-Atlantic Region Call for Volunteers process and e-balloted election, the new Secretary/Treasurer of the Region is
Brian Burgess, DPM, FACFAS
Congratulations to Dr. Burgess. His term will commence on March 1, in conjunction with the next meeting of the College's Region Presidents Council (RPC).
Thanks to all of the candidates and to those members that took the time to vote. Please watch your email for information about the next membership meeting of the Midest Region, to be held at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas in May.