Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Great Lakes Region: (Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio)
The Region held a meeting of its \on March 24 in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Overview of redistricting from Division to Regions
- Continued support of Resident and Post Grad Fellow Poster/Manuscript presenters at the Annual Scientific Conference
- Overview of upcoming events and support within the region
- Promotion of On the Road course planned for 2018
Christopher Stucke, DPM was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo. Congratulations!
Pictured: Christopher Stucke, DPM
Great Lakes Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2018 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Great Lakes Region is Natasha Bhagat from Kent State.
Pictured are Bruce Kaczander, DPM, FACFAS, Great Lakes Region President and Natasha Bhagat. Congratulations to Natasha on being chosen as an ACFAS 2018 Region Scholar!
Divisions Transitioning to Regions: Thanks to Retiring Division Presidents
The 14 ACFAS regional Divisions are redistricting to nine Regions starting January 1, 2018. Many thanks to Julie Wieger, DPM, FACFAS, for her many years of service to the ACFAS Ohio Valley Division as her term ends at the end of the year. Dr. Wieger attended the Division Presidents Council (DPC) meeting on October 21 in Chicago and was honored for her support of ACFAS programming in her Division.
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Funds Resident and Post Graduate Fellow Poster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Great Lakes Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Closed Talar Fracture with Associated Talocalcaneal Navicular Joint Dislocation
Resident Presenter: Romy Patel, DPM; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Temporary Bridge Plating of the Medial Column in Chopart and Lisfranc fractures
Resident Presenter: Alaa N. Mansour, DPM; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Application of External Fixator for Acute Treatment and Stabilization of Gun Shot Wound to the Tarsal Navicular Calcaneal Brodie's Abscess: A Rare Case Presentation of 52 Years Duration with Prior Failed Multiple Treatments Avoiding Major Amputation
Accessory FDL Causing Tarsal Tunnel Symptoms in an 11-Year-Old Girl: A Case Study
Resident Presenter: Ali Rahnama, DPM; Detroit Medical Center
- Calcaneal Brodie's Abscess: A Rare Case Presentation of 52 Years Duration with Prior Failed Multiple Treatments Avoiding Major Amputation
Use of Continuous External Tissue Expander and Incisional Negative Pressure Wound Therapy for Wound Healing Complications After Ankle Arthrodesis
Resident Presenters: Priya Samant, DPM; Mohamad Al Sawah, DPM; Providence Hospital
- Muscle Flap Transposition for Treatment of Diabetic Wounds of the Lower Extremity
Postgraduate Fellow Presenter: Keleigh Muxlow, DPM, AACFAS; Henry Ford Allegiance Health
- Osteolysis of Calcaneus, Talus and Tibia from Suture Anchor Reaction After Achilles Tendon Detachment and Reattachment
Short Term Follow-Up of Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Nerve Blocks versus Traditional Surgeon-Performed Peripheral Nerve Blocks in the Management of Postoperative Pain for Lower-Extremity Cases: A Retrospective Study
Resident Presenter: Marc Delara, DPM; Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital
- The Five-Hour Bone Biopsy
Resident Presenter: Jana Atik, DPM; St. Mary Mercy Livonia
- Retrospective Analysis of the Akin Osteotomy
Resident Presenter: Steven Douthett, DPM, Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Deep Transverse Metatarsal Ligament Transection in Morton's Neuroma Excision: A Cadaveric Study Examining Effects on Metatarsal Alignment
Resident Presenter: Daniel Peterson, DPM; Detroit Medical Center
- Use of Fibular Strut Allograft for Treatment of a Pediatric Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Distal Fibula
Resident Presenter: Patrick R. Thompson, DPM, MS; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
Congratulations to these resident poster authors on their research efforts!