Big West Region
Alberta, Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming
Big West Region President
Jeffrey McAlister, DPM, FACFAS
Contact the Big West Region
Big West Region Officers
Austin Matthews, DPM, FACFAS
Haywan Chiu, DPM, FACFAS
Big West Region Residency Director Mentors
Michael D. Vaardahl, DPM, FACFAS
North Colorado Medical Center
Contact the Mentors
Big West Region State Liaisons
The Big West Region has appointed the following members of ACFAS to serve as liaisons from the following states:
- Arizona: Vanousheh Ghandhari, DPM, AACFAS (480) 895-0276
- Idaho: Randal Wraalstad, DPM, FACFAS (208) 814-7150
- Kansas: David Laha, DPM, FACFAS (913) 338-4440
- Montana: Ronald Ray, DPM, FACFAS (406) 761-2222
- New Mexico: Riley Rampton, DPM, AACFAS (575) 434-0639
- North Dakota: Rachael Renschlet, DPM, AACFAS (701) 952-4878
- Wyoming: Monica Schweinberger, DPM, FACFAS (307) 778-7550 x7234
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Big West Region Membership Meeting
The Big West Region held their annual meeting with ACFAS 2023 in Los Angeles, CA on February 9. Jeffrey McAlister, DPM, FACFAS, Big West Region Vice President, led the discussion. The meeting provided an opportunity for members to meet Region officers and hear about their and plans for the upcoming year including:
- ACFAS Region Complication courses
- Big West Region Director of Education position
- Opportunities for Big West Region and members to participate in marathons to promote profession
Attendees were entered into a drawing for a $100 Amazon Gift Card. Michael Kooyman, DPM, FACFAS was selected as the winner.
ACFAS Big West Region New Officers Elected
Hi ACFAS Big West Region Members:
After a successful election and filling two open officer positions, we have a new slate of officers for the ACFAS Big West Region:
President: Jeff McAlister, DPM, FACFAS – Phoenix, AZ
Vice President: Austin Matthews, DPM, FACFAS – Torrington, WY
Secretary/Treasurer: Nilin Rao, DPM, PhD, FACFAS – Phoenix, AZ
Director of Education: Haywan Chiu, DPM, FACFAS – Albuquerque, NM
Congratulations and welcome to Drs. Rao and Chiu! Their terms will commence immediately.
Thanks to all four candidates and to those members that took the time to vote. Please watch your email for information about the latest activity of the Big West Region.
ACFAS Big West Region Funds Poster Research at the 2022 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Big West Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at ACFAS 2022 in Austin:
- A Novel Low Opioid Postoperative Protocol for Foot and Ankle Surgery
Thomas M. Ehlers, DPM
Efficacy of a dual continuous compression construct in first tarsometatarsal arthrodesis, a Preliminary Results of a Retrospective Study
Bryan Raymond, DPM; Laura Adler, DPM
Use of Flowable Calcium Phosphate for Treatment of Bone Marrow Lesions Associated with Recalcitrant Plantar Fasciitis
Steven R. Cooperman, DPM; Tyler Tewiliager, DPM, AACFAS
- Fibular Inlay Graft for Segmental Bone Defect of Metatarsal Following Gunshot Wound to Foot
Joshua B. Millward, DPM; Chad Smith, DPM
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research!
ACFAS Big West Region Supports Student Scholar
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Region, and are usually the president-elect or an officer of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local ACFAS Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. Pictured below is Dylan Mariano, ’24, the 2022 Region Scholar from Midwestern University Arizona College of Podiatric Medicine, along with Kelly Pirozzi, DPM, FACFAS, Big West Region President.
Congratulations to Dylan for being chosen as an ACFAS 2022 Region Scholar!
Region Goals for First Half of 2023
- Attend Region Presidents Council Meeting held during the Annual Scientific Conference in Los Angeles, CA
- Host ACFAS Big West Region Meeting held during the Annual Scientific Conference in Los Angeles, CA
- ACFAS Big West Region support of posters and manuscripts presented at the Annual Scientific Conference in Los Angeles, CA
- ACFAS Big West Region onboarding of new officers
- Plan an ACFAS Big West Region Complications course
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level and to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their careers as foot and ankle surgeons.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws, and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.
Contact the ACFAS Region Presidents Council Chair
Gregory P. Still, DPM, FACFAS
Wheat Ridge, CO
Phone: (303) 422-6043