Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania
Tri-State Region President
Jarrett D. Cain, DPM, MSc, FACFAS
Phone: (412) 232-9089
Contact the Tri-State Region
Tri-State Region Officers
Jennifer Van, DPM, FACFAS
Maryellen P. Brucato, DPM, FACFAS
James P. Sullivan, DPM, FACFAS
Director of Education
Sea Girt, NJ
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Calling All Young Researchers:
Local ACFAS Regions Have Funds to Support Your Research Efforts
Application Deadline: January 2
Are you a student, resident or post graduate fellow in the Tri-State Region and presenting an accepted poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in February? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? Your ACFAS Region can help!
If you’ve submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
To be eligible to be considered for funding from the Tri-State Region, please do the following:
- All forms must be submitted to James Sullivan, DPM (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) by January 2, 2024, as the checks will be pre-written prior to the conference.
- Please use the following format for the subject line: "First Initial. Last Name - Poster Support (or Manuscript Support), Institution" (For example "J. Cain - Poster Support, UPMC Hospital)
- One primary author per poster/manuscript eligible for funding support (maximum of three per institution).
- Requests will be given on a first come, first served basis should there be more than three posters/manuscripts per institution. You will receive an email confirmation upon receiving your request.
- Individuals must physically be present at the Tri-State Region meeting ACFAS 2024 (tentatively scheduled for Thursday, February 1 at 1pm) to collect their check. Please refer to official conference program to confirm time/date.
Got Research? The Tri-State Region has Money for You!
Attention ACFAS Tri-State Region Researchers:
The College’s Tri-State Region supports local research and has money to help you with your efforts. . They’d like to provide financial support for research projects presented at the College’s Annual Scientific Conference and published in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery or FASTRAC.
Interested in applying?
Support is provided on a rolling basis. Please download the grant application requirements and instructions for submission.
Tri-State Region Hosts Successful PGY-1 Orientation Event
The Tri-State Region hosted the 2023 Philadelphia-Area Podiatric PGY1 Orientation on July 7, 2023.
PGY1 Residents learned about logging in PRR, residency professionalism, and residency expectations. Participants also had the opportunity to participate in a variety of workshops including wound VAC, Doppler US, closed reduction and splitting, infection workups, suturing, and sagittal saw and K-wire.
Tri-State Region Membership Meeting
The Tri-State Region held their annual meeting with ACFAS 2022 in Austin, TX on February 11. Jarrett Cain, DPM, FACFAS, Tri-State Region President, led the discussion. The meeting provided an opportunity for members to meet Region officers and hear about their plans for the upcoming year including:
- ACFAS Region Complications course for 2023/2024
- Research funding for a pilot study
- Tri-State Region planning for a student workshop and lecture
Attendees were entered into a drawing for a $100 Amazon Gift Card. Rachel Gerber, DPM, AACFAS was selected as the winner.
Jarrett Cain, DPM, FACFAS and Rachel Gerber, DPM, AACFAS
Tri-State Region Provides Local Support to Residents and Researchers
In an effort to assist its resident members prep for Boards, the Tri-State Region provided financial support for the 11th Annual Board Review for chief residents. This event was helmed by Dr. Andrew Meyr at Temple University.
The Region also wants to encourage local researchers! It has pilot grants for residents, fellowships, and attendings in the area. Supported projects include:
- JFAS Article: Load to Failure of the Ankle Joint Complex After Fusion of the Subtalar and Talonavicular Joints: A Cadaveric Study. Authors include Heidi M. Godoy, DPM, AACFAS, Michael Rotenberg, BS, Guido LaPorta, DPM, FACFAS, and Ryan Willing, PhD.
- Research Poster: Three Dimensional Weightbearing CT Assessment of First Metatarsal Osteotomies for Hallux Valgus Correction. Authors include Jordan Stolle, DPM, Jarrett D. Cain, DPM, FACFAS, and Sorin Siegler.
- Research Poster: 3-Dimensional Analysis of First Tarsometatarsal Joint After First Metatarsal Osteotomy with Weightbearing CT (WBCT). Authors include Jarrett D. Cain, DPM, FACFAS, Jordan Stolle, DPM, and Sorin Siegler.
Have a research project that you’d like to be considered for funding? Please contact your Region officers.
ACFAS Tri-State Region Funds Poster Research at the 2022 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Tri-State Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at ACFAS 2022 in Austin:
Comparative Outcomes of Arthroscopic Vs. Open Broström-Gould Repair for Chronic Lateral Ankle Instability
Priya D. Patel, DPM and Michael A. Thomas, DPM, MS, AACFAS
A Retrospective Comparison Review of Lapidus Fixation With or Without a Plate Stability
Brandon Schlakman, DPM and Alex Lakner, DPM
Arthroscopic Management of Osteoid Osteoma of the Talus
Hesam Naenifard, DPM, MPH, Chase Tamashiro, DPM and Joyann Oakman, DPM
Surgical Management of Avascular Necrosis of the Cuboid
Hesam Naenifard, DPM, MPH and Yvonne Baumrucker, DPM
Synovial Sarcoma of the Rearfoot: A Case Study
Daryl Silva, DPM
An Evaluation of Patient Characteristics Associated with Medical Disposition in the Surgical Treatment of Ankle Fractures
A unique case of first ray salvage using joint-spanning external fixation and split thickness skin graft in a healthy patient with post-operative wound dehiscence and osteomyelitis.
Kimberly J. Inocco, DPM and Michael Fox, DPM
A Comparison of Adverse Short-Term Outcomes Following Forefoot Amputation Performed on an Inpatient versus Outpatient Basis Retrospective analysis of lower extremity tissue loss associated with vasopressor use.
Sara Mateen, DPM
Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis for the Treatment of Midfoot Charcot Neuroarthropathy
Jacob M. Jones, DPM, Scott D. Schleunes, DPM, John E. Marshall, DPM and Vincent G. Vacketta, DPM
Minimally invasive first metatarsophalangeal joint arthrodesis: a case series
Sara Mateen, DPM
Digital Deformity Correction with Interphalangeal Joint Arthrodesis using ExoToe Implant: A Retrospective Comparative Review
Vincent G. Vacketta, DPM and Jacob M. Jones, DPM
The Incidence of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in Patients with Established Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome: A Retrospective Review
John R. Greaves, DPM, AACFAS and Vishal S. Desai, DPM, AACFAS
Does Lateral Ankle Instability Lead to the Development of Additional Foot & Ankle Pathology?
Vishal S. Desai, DPM, AACFAS and John R. Greaves, DPM AACFAS
Post-operative Narcotic Use in Patients following Ankle Open Reduction Internal Fixation
Sara Mateen, DPM
Prospective in-vivo comparison of three intra-operative ankle syndesmosis stress techniques.
Sara Mateen, DPM
Time to Revision After Periprosthetic Joint Infection in Total Ankle Arthroplasty: A Systematic Review
Samantha A. Miner, DPM, AACFAS and John A. Martucci, DPM, AACFAS
Novel Tension Banding Fixation for a Tongue Type Calcaneal Fracture via Suture Anchors
Sara Mateen, DPM
- First Tarsometatarsal Joint Arthrodesis With and Without Intermetatarsal Screw Fixation: A Comparison of Correction and Maintenance of Correction
Jacob M. Jones, DPM, Scott D. Schleunes, DPM and Vincent G. Vacketta, DPM
- Concomitant MRI Findings in Patients with Suspected Plantar Plate Injuries and their Influence on Surgical Planning
Matthew Diamond, DPM
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research!
ACFAS Tri-State Region Supports Student Scholar
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Region, and are usually the president-elect or an officer of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local ACFAS Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. Pictured below is Jacklyn Zvonar '24, the 2022 Region Scholar from Temple University College of Podiatric Medicine, along with Jarrett Cain, DPM, FACFAS, Tri-State Region President.
Congratulations to Jacklyn for being chosen as an ACFAS 2022 Region Scholar!
Region Goals for First Half of 2023
- Attend Region Presidents Council Meeting held during the Annual Scientific Conference in Los Angeles, CA
- Host ACFAS Tri-State Region Meeting held during Annual Scientific Conference in Los Angeles, CA
- ACFAS Tri-State Region support of posters and manuscripts presented at the Annual Scientific Conference in Los Angeles, CA
- Plan Tri-State Region conference on practice management for residents, fellows and young practitioners
- ACFAS Tri-State Region officer lecture to TUSPM Student Club
- ACFAS Tri-State Region support of ACFAS Student Club at TUSPM
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their careers as foot and ankle surgeons.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.
Contact the ACFAS Region Presidents Council Chair
Gregory P. Still, DPM, FACFAS
Wheat Ridge, CO
Phone: (303) 422-6043