Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Save the Date – Complications Course
Join us for the ACFAS Great Lakes Region Surgical Complications Forum
Saturday, November 10, 2018
7am - 5pm
Listen and learn at this not-to-be-missed education event. The Great Lakes Region is hosting its fourth annual Surgical Complications Forum. Members of the ACFAS Great Lakes Region and podiatric residents currently training in any of the Region's residency programs in Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio are invited to participate. Residents in these programs will present some of their most interesting cases.
St. Mary Mercy Hospital - Auditorium
36475 Five Mile Road
The lecture will be held in the auditorium, which can be accessed by taking the south entrance towards the Marian Professional Building and entering adjacent to the ER.
9 CME category 1 credits
Residents - free
ACFAS Members - $50
Non-ACFAS Members - $75
Registration begins at 6:30am. Checks should be made payable to ACFAS Great Lakes Region. Credit cards are also accepted.
No refunds will be given if an attendee needs to leave early. Appropriate CME will be provided based on time spent at the meeting.
We hope to see you there,
Bruce Kaczander, DPM, FACFAS - Great Lakes Region President
Daniel Zahari, DPM, FACFAS - Great Lakes Region Vice President
Mark Mendeszoon, DPM, FACFAS - Great Lakes Region Director of Education
Zeehan Husain, DPM, FACFAS - Great Lakes Region Secretary/Treasurer
Questions: Contact Bruce Kaczander, DPM, FACFAS.
DISCLAIMER: The ACFAS Education & Scientific Affairs Committee has not independently evaluated the educational content or the CPME or FDA compliance requirements. Therefore, any use of the ACFAS name is not to be construed as an endorsement of this program.
Election Results: ACFAS Great Lakes Region
Attention Great Lakes Region Members:
Congratulations to your new Great Lakes Region Officer:
Director of Education: Mark Mendeszoon, DPM, FACFAS
His term commences immediately. Many thanks to both candidates for their interest in becoming involved in the ACFAS Great Lakes Region and to the Region members who took a moment to vote.
Please watch your email for future announcements of new educational opportunities held within the Great Lakes Region.
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Funds Resident and Post Graduate Fellow Poster Research at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nahsville
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Great Lakes Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville:
- Osteochondroma of the Ankle: A Case Report and Review of the Literature
Resident Presenter: Marcus P. Richardson, DPM; Grant Medical Center
- Achilles Tendon Allograft with Bone Block for Achilles Tendon Reconstruction: 8-Year Follow-Up
Resident Presenters: Eric So, DPM; Devon W. Consul, DPM; Grant Medical Center
- Radical Reconstruction of Ankle Joint Recurvatum and Cavovarus Deformity with Opening Tibial Osteotomy and Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis
Resident Presenter: Ryon T. Wiska, DPM; Oakwood Hospital Wayne
- Calcaneal Fracture Complicated by Delayed Compartment Syndrome And Cavovarus Volkmann's Contracture
Resident Presenter: Tarin B. Paparella, DPM; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Candida Osteomyelitis of the Midfoot
Resident Presenter: Lauren M. Coe, DPM; Mercy Health Regional Medical Center
- Pleomorphic liposarcoma of the Ankle: A Case Report
Resident Presenters: Sheena Niese, DPM; Jeffrey A. Michael, DPM; Alliance Community Hospital
- Takedown Interpositional Arthroplasty With Acellular Dermal Matrix For the Revision Of 1st Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis Malunion
Resident Presenters: Eric So, DPM; Jonathan Lee, DPM; Grant Medical Center
- Intraosseous Ganglion of the Navicular with a Successful Surgical Outcome: A Case Report
Resident Presenters: Kimia Sohrabi, DPM; Sheela Chockalingam, DPM; St Mary Mercy Lovonia
- A Novel Technique for Interpositional Arthroplasty for the Treatment of Fourth and Fifth Tarsometatarsal Arthritis
Resident Presenters: Joseph M. Greschner, DPM; Eric So, DPM; Rona W. Law, DPM; Grant Medical Center Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Chereen H. Tawancy, DPM, AACFAS Foot & Ankle Specialists of Central Ohio Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship
- Medial Column Arthrodesis with Autogenous Bone Graft in a Diabetic Charcot Patient Complicated by Joint Sepsis
Resident Presenter: Mitchell P. Flippin, DPM; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Leiomyosarcoma of Vascular Origin in the Foot
Resident Presenter: Binh T. Ta, DPM; Alliance Community Hospital
- Gouty Tophi in Sinus Tarsi of Bilateral Feet Mimicking Synovial Sarcoma: A Case Report
Resident Presenter: Romesh G. Dhaduk, DPM; Oakwood Hospital Wayne
- An Unusual Case of Gouty Achilles Tendinopathy
Resident Presenters: Chandana Halaharvi, DPM; Eric So, DPM; Kurt A. Kibler, DPM; Grant Medical Center
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Chereen H. Tawancy, DPM, AACFAS Foot & Ankle Specialists of Central Ohio Reconstructive Foot and Ankle Surgery Fellowship
- Surgical Management of Charcot Wounds with Intrinsic and Extrinsic Muscle Flaps
Resident Presenters: Michael C. Reed, DPM ; Noe E. Garza, DPM; Northside Medical Center (WRHE)
- Intramedullary Nail Fixation For the Treatment of Tibiotalocalcaneal Fusions Complicated by a Tibial Fracture
Resident Presenter: Matthew S. Daniel, DPM; Western Reserve Health Education
Post Graduate Fellow presenter: Priya Samant, DPM, AACFAS
- Radiographic Outcomes Following Utilization of Size Varied, Pre-shaped Allograft Wedges for Lateral Column Lengthening as an Isolated Procedure in a Cadaver Model
Resident Presenter: Elaine G. Grant, DPM; St John Hospital and Medical Center
- Surgical Management of Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction without Tendon Transfer and Arthrodesis: A Retrospective Study
Resident Presenter: Ashim Wadehra, DPM; Oakwood Hospital Wayne
- Average Rate of Return to Baseline Activities Following a Mini-Open Achilles Tendon Rupture Repair Technique
Resident Presenter: Christopher J. Stucke, DPM; St Rita's Medical Center
- Dorsal Locking Plate without Interfragmentary Screw Fixation for First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis: Case Series
Resident Presenter: Adam G. Grahn, DPM; Northside Medical Center (WRHE)
- Outcomes of Silastic Joint Implants of the First Metatarsophalangeal Joint using the FAOS Foot & Ankle Survey
Resident Presenters: Tina Shahin, DPM; Katherine M. Facaros, DPM; Michael E. Marshall, DPM; Alliance Community Hospital
- Rate of Development of Hallucal Interphalangeal Degenerative Joint Disease After First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodesis: A Retrospective Radiographic Analysis
Resident Presenters: Nisha Shah, DPM; Marcus Richardson, DPM; Anson Chu, DPM; Grant Medical Center
The Region also supported the following manuscript presenters:
- Structures at Risk from an Intermetatarsal Screw for Lapidus Bunionectomy: A Cadaveric Study
Resident Presenter: Eric So, DPM; Grant Medical Center
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Roberto A. Brandao, DPM, AACFAS; Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Center Fellowship
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research efforts!
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Great Lakes Region: (Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio)
The Region held a meeting on March 24 in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Overview of redistricting from Division to Regions
- Continued support of Resident and Post Grad Fellow Poster/Manuscript presenters at the Annual Scientific Conference
- Overview of upcoming events and support within the region
- Promotion of On the Road course planned for 2018
Christopher Stucke, DPM was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo. Congratulations!
Pictured: Christopher Stucke, DPM
Great Lakes Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2018 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Great Lakes Region is Natasha Bhagat from Kent State.
Pictured are Bruce Kaczander, DPM, FACFAS, Great Lakes Region President and Natasha Bhagat. Congratulations to Natasha on being chosen as an ACFAS 2018 Region Scholar!