Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Funds Poster Research at the 2021 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Great Lakes Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at ACFAS 2021 in Las Vegas:
- Post-Operative Opioid Consumption Following Hallux Valgus and Rigidus Surgery: A Guide to Post-Operative Prescription Writing
Jake, D, Eisenschink, DPM and Rachelle, L, Leveille, DPM
- Surgical Takedown Approaches to Insertional Achilles Tendinitis: A Systematic Review
John M. Thompson, DPM and Kevin Nguyen, DPM
- Accuracy of Weightbearing CT versus Non-Weightbearing CT Scans for Patient-Specific Instrumentation in Total Ankle Arthroplasty
Mitchell J. Thompson, DPM AACFAS and Devon Consul, DPM, AACFAS
- Outcomes and Material Cost Comparison of Transosseous versus Suture Anchor Fixation of the Achilles Tendon: A retrospective study
Joseph R Wolf DPM
- Coronal Plane Deformity and Total Ankle Replacement: When to Stage with Cement Spacer Ankle Arthroplasty for Deformity Correction
John M. Thompson, DPM, Mitchell J. Thompson, DPM AACFAS and Devon Consul, DPM AACFAS
- Ankle Fusion Outcomes Utilizing Anterior Ankle Plating Techniques: A Systematic Review
Emily E Zulauf, DPM
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research!
ACFAS Great Lakes Region 2021 Meeting Outcomes
Mark Mendeszoon, DPM, FACFAS, Great Lakes Region President, led a virtual meeting of Region members on May 10, the week before the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference. The meeting provided an opportunity for members to meet Region officers and hear about our support and plans for the upcoming year including:
- Region support of members during the pandemic
- Region support of poster/manuscript presenters
- Recognition of Region Scholars
- Region Learning Programs for 2021-2022 with the Great Lakes Region scheduled for 2022-23 cycle
- Support of ACFAS Student Clubs at Kent
Attendees were entered into a drawing for one of two $100 Amazon Gift Cards. The winners were David Tran, DPM and Krista Kotzeva, DPM.
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Supports Student Scholar
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Region, and are usually the president-elect or an officer of the their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local ACFAS Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. Pictured below is Kiara Francis the 2021 Region Scholar from the Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine.
Congratulations to Kiara for being chosen as an ACFAS 2021 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Great Lakes Region New Officer Elected
Dear ACFAS Great Lakes Region Members:
As a result of the recent Great Lakes Region Call for Volunteers process and e-balloted election, the new Secretary/Treasurer of the Region is:
Kimberly S. Cravey, DPM, AACFAS
Congratulations to Dr. Cravey. Her term will commence immediately.
Thanks to all five candidates and to those members that took the time to vote. Please watch your email for information about the next membership meeting of the Great Lakes Region, to be held virtually via Zoom.
New Region Learning Programs Launching Soon
Are you looking forward to getting back to in-person meetings and educational offerings? It's almost time to get back to normal!
The College is launching a new pilot educational "Region Learning Program". These two-day courses will combine case presentations, lightning lectures and hands-on labs, enabling attendees to gain insight into the depth and breadth of your current foot and ankle knowledge. Attendees will walk away with a better understanding of contributing factors associated with foot and ankle surgery complications and will be able to apply new skills to help you maximize function and restore structure.
The College has scheduled courses in the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest Region for Fall 2021, and courses will be held in the Big West, Tri-State and Southeast Regions in Spring 2022. Other Regions will be scheduled soon.
Please watch your email for more information to come!