Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Meeting
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Great Lakes Region: (Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio)
Date: Saturday, March 24
Location: Exhibit Hall (lunch meeting)
This information will also be listed in your onsite conference brochure.
Your Region will be holding a meeting of its members in conjunction with the ACFAS Scientific Conference in Nashville. We hope that you can join us to meet and network with your Region officers and have a hand in the upcoming year's plans for the Region.
Attend to Learn, Plan and Win!
All ACFAS members who attend their Region meetings will be placed in a Region drawing to win an Amazon Echo. Your raffle ticket will be distributed at your Region meeting.
See you in Nashville!
Great Lakes Region Supporting Local Residents and Post-Grad Fellow Researchers
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in March? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Great Lakes Region can help!
If you live within the Great Lakes Region, you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference, and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to Dr. Bruce Kaczander by Friday, March 9, 2018. The Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received, and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Great Lakes Region is excited to be able to support the next generation of local researchers!
Divisions Transitioning to Regions: Thanks to Retiring Division Presidents
The 14 ACFAS regional Divisions are redistricting to nine Regions starting January 1, 2018. Many thanks to Julie Wieger, DPM, FACFAS, for her many years of service to the ACFAS Ohio Valley Division as her term ends at the end of the year. Dr. Wieger attended the Division Presidents Council (DPC) meeting on October 21 in Chicago and was honored for her support of ACFAS programming in her Division.
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Funds Resident and Post Graduate Fellow Poster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Great Lakes Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Closed Talar Fracture with Associated Talocalcaneal Navicular Joint Dislocation
Resident Presenter: Romy Patel, DPM; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Temporary Bridge Plating of the Medial Column in Chopart and Lisfranc fractures
Resident Presenter: Alaa N. Mansour, DPM; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Application of External Fixator for Acute Treatment and Stabilization of Gun Shot Wound to the Tarsal Navicular Calcaneal Brodie's Abscess: A Rare Case Presentation of 52 Years Duration with Prior Failed Multiple Treatments Avoiding Major Amputation
Accessory FDL Causing Tarsal Tunnel Symptoms in an 11-Year-Old Girl: A Case Study
Resident Presenter: Ali Rahnama, DPM; Detroit Medical Center
- Calcaneal Brodie's Abscess: A Rare Case Presentation of 52 Years Duration with Prior Failed Multiple Treatments Avoiding Major Amputation
Use of Continuous External Tissue Expander and Incisional Negative Pressure Wound Therapy for Wound Healing Complications After Ankle Arthrodesis
Resident Presenters: Priya Samant, DPM; Mohamad Al Sawah, DPM; Providence Hospital
- Muscle Flap Transposition for Treatment of Diabetic Wounds of the Lower Extremity
Postgraduate Fellow Presenter: Keleigh Muxlow, DPM, AACFAS; Henry Ford Allegiance Health
- Osteolysis of Calcaneus, Talus and Tibia from Suture Anchor Reaction After Achilles Tendon Detachment and Reattachment
Short Term Follow-Up of Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Nerve Blocks versus Traditional Surgeon-Performed Peripheral Nerve Blocks in the Management of Postoperative Pain for Lower-Extremity Cases: A Retrospective Study
Resident Presenter: Marc Delara, DPM; Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital
- The Five-Hour Bone Biopsy
Resident Presenter: Jana Atik, DPM; St. Mary Mercy Livonia
- Retrospective Analysis of the Akin Osteotomy
Resident Presenter: Steven Douthett, DPM, Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
- Deep Transverse Metatarsal Ligament Transection in Morton's Neuroma Excision: A Cadaveric Study Examining Effects on Metatarsal Alignment
Resident Presenter: Daniel Peterson, DPM; Detroit Medical Center
- Use of Fibular Strut Allograft for Treatment of a Pediatric Aneurysmal Bone Cyst of the Distal Fibula
Resident Presenter: Patrick R. Thompson, DPM, MS; Oakwood Annapolis Hospital
Congratulations to these resident poster authors on their research efforts!