Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Get Involved with ACFAS in Your Own Backyard!
Attention ACFAS Members of the Great Lakes Region, practicing in IN, KY, MI and OH:
Are you interested in helping your ACFAS Region deliver its mission:
"...to help ACFAS members at the state and local level to provide superior care to foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research, and the promotion of the highest professional standards"
The Great Lakes Region currently has an opening in its slate of officers for a Secretary/Treasurer and is seeking a volunteer to fill this position. Deadline to apply is March 4.
The Secretary/Treasurer is responsible for:
• Keeping the books of the Region;
• Providing financial oversight for Region funds;
• Compiling semi-annual financial reports to the Region Presidents Council Finance Committee;
• Assisting with leadership of the Region.
Have Questions or Interested in Volunteering?
Please submit your questions or a statement of interest and your CV to the ACFAS Membership Department by March 4. Statements and CVs will be shared with the Great Lakes Region membership as a part of an e-balloted election. The election will occur in March, with the officer term commencing upon completion. Transition time will occur prior the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in May.
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Great Lakes Region: (Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan and Ohio)
The ACFAS Great Lakes Region met on Thursday, February 20 at ACFAS 2020 in San Antonio with 45 members in attendance. Daniel Zahari, DPM, FACFAS, Great Lakes Region President, led the meeting. The Region discussions included:
- ACFAS Great Lakes Region CME opportunities
- ACFAS Great Lakes Region elections
- ACFAS Great Lakes Region continued poster/manuscript support for Post Graduate Fellows and Residents
The Region Raffle prize winner of a $100 Amazon gift card was Timothy Miller, DPM, AACFAS from Wooster, OH.
Great Lakes Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2020 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Great Lakes Region is Hamidat Momoh from Kent State.
Pictured are Alam MacGill, DPM, FACFAS, 2020 Region Presidents Council Chair and Hamidat Momohs Congratulations to Hamidat on being chosen as an ACFAS 2020 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Great Lakes Region Funds Resident and Post Graduate Fellow Poster Research at the 2020 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Great Lakes Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at ACFAS 2020:
- A Novel Technique for Repair of an Osteochondral Talar Dome Fracture in a Pediatric Athlete: A Case Study
Presenter: Christopher W. Hogue, DPM
- Treatment of Chronic Non-Healing Ulceration Utilizing A Transposition Flap With Vascular Delay Technique: A Case Report (3rd Place Award Winner - Case Studies)
Presenter: Romesh G. Dhaduk, DPM, AACFAS
- Surgical Reconstruction of Bilateral Preaxial Polydactyly in an Adolescent: Case Report
Presenter: Andrew M. Baker, DPM, AACFAS
- Utilization of Subchondroplasty for Recalcitrant Metatarsal Stress Fractures (2nd Place Award Winner - Case Studies)
Presenter: Kaihua Wang, DPM
- An Unusual Case Report of a Stage IV Osteochondral Defect Imitating a Medial Malleolar Avulsion Fracture
Presenter: Tyler W. Claveau, DPM
- Rare, Non-Displaced, Sagittal Plane Fractures of the Navicular Body: A Case Report
Presenter: Rachelle L. Randall, DPM
- Excision of Ossifying Fibromyxoid Tumor with Genetic Testing and Closed Utilizing Extensor Digitorum Brevis Muscle Flap
Presenter: Jake D. Eisenschink, DPM
- Correction of Hallux Abducto Valgus Deformity Utilizing Closing Base Wedge Osteotomy: A Study of 101 Patients
Presenter: Hannah Khlopas, DPM
- Treatment of Chronic Peroneal Tendinopathies using Percutaneous Tenotomies: A Technique Guide and Case Series
Presenter: Nunzio Misseri, DPM, AACFAS
- A Combination of a Dislocated Sagittal Plane Talar Body Fracture, Transverse Talar Neck Fracture, and a Medial Malleolus Fracture: A Case Report
Presenter: Lance E. Reeves, DPM
- Atypical Presentation of Calcaneal Osteomyelitis with Pathologic Fracture Secondary to Corticosteroid Injection
Presenters: David V. Tran, DPM and Justin J. Singh, DPM
- Peroneus Brevis Flap for Chronic Wound with Exposed Achilles Tendon
Presenter: Kenneth J. Kysor, DPM
- Peroneal Tenodesis and Plantar Fasciotomy for Diabetic Forefoot Ulceration, Case Series
Presenter: Michael D. Liette, DPM
- First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Arthrodiastasis with an Umbilical Cord Matrix Allograft: A Case Series
Presenter: Hayley E. Iosue, DPM, AACFAS
- Evaluation of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome In the Lower Extremity with Magnetic Resonance Imaging
Presenter: Elizabeth Chan, DPM
- Treatment of Drop Foot Via Nerve Anastomosis of the Motor Branch of Lateral Hemi-Soleus to Deep Peroneal Nerve Branches
Presenters: Phuoc V. Bui, DPM and Lynette F. Meece, DPM
- Alternative Approach to Management of Arthritis to the Fourth-Fifth Tarsometatarsal Joints: Case Study and Surgical Technique
Presenter: Stephanie L. Liette, DPM
- Adipose Fasciocutaneous graft with Tibial Calcaneal Arthodesis: Limb Salvage
Presenter: Jacob Carmichael, DPM
- Total Ankle Replacement with Clubfoot multiplanar deformity using Agility Implant with Fourteen and a Half Year Follow Up
Presenter: Clay B. Shumway, DPM
- Case Study: Bilateral Osseous Naviculo-Medial Cuneiform Coalitions and Surgical Management
Presenter: Kevin N. Nguyen, DPM
- Total Ankle Replacement with a Staged Deformity Correction of a 20-degree Ankle Valgus and Medial Ankle Instability after Trauma - A 6-Year Follow-Up
Presenter: Mohammed K. Hassan, DPM
- Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis with Fibular Inlay Graft for Biological Fixation
Presenter: Derek J. Ley, DPM, AACFAS
- Comparison of Outcomes and Rates of Complications between Various Fixation Techniques for Jones Fractures of the Fifth Metatarsal: A Systematic Review
Presenter: James M. Steriovski, DPM
- Posterior Ankle Scope Approach to Symptomatic Os Trigonum Removal
Presenter: John M. Thompson, DPM
- Podiatric Medicine and Surgery Resident Authored Publications in the Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery: A Systematic Review
Presenter: Dominick J. Casciato, DPM
- The Financial Implications of Podiatric Foot and Ankle Fellowship: Is Another Year Worth it?
Presenter: Calvin J. Rushing, DPM, AACFAS
- Comparison on Cost and Success Rate of K-wire vs Implants For Hammertoe Repair, A Retrospective Study
Presenter: Sharon K. Jay, DPM
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research efforts!