Gulf States Region
Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Gulf States Region Meeting
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Gulf States Region: (Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas)
The Region held a meeting of its members on March 24 in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Plans for a Regional coding webinar
- Region development of communication to members via a bulletin board or e-news email
- Gulf States Region interest in participating in legislative days and similar events
Damien Dauphinee, DPM, FACFAS was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo. Congratulations!
Pictured are Damien Dauphinee, DPM, FACFAS, and Javier La Fontaine, DPM, FACFAS Gulf States Region President.
ACFAS Gulf States Region Funds Resident and Post Grad Fellow Poster Research at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Gulf States Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville:
- Septic Ankle Joint of Unknown Cause in a Pediatric Patient
Resident Presenters: Megan L. Herring, DPM; Matthew G. McCabe, DPM; Christus Saint Patrick Hospital
- Graft Incorporation and Microangiogenesis Evaluation via Fluorescence Angiography Following Application of an Acellularized Dermal Matrix
Resident Presenters: Jared T. Gremillion, DPM; Matthew G. McCabe, DPM; Christus Saint Patrick Hospital
- Follow-Up Evaluation of Medial Clear Space Following Fibular Open Reduction Internal Fixation Without Primary Deltoid Repair in Bimalleolar Equivalent Fractures
Limb Salvage in Charcot Deformity Correction - Outcomes and Prognostics
Resident Presenters: Dalton M. Ryba, DPM; Jordan J. Ernst, DPM; John Peter Smith Hospital
- Primary Repair of the Achilles Tendon, is DVT Chemoprophylaxis Necessary?
Resident Presenter: Matthew G. McCabe, DPM; Christus Saint Patrick Hospital
- Total Metatarsophalangeal Joint Implant Arthroplasty For Hallux Rigidus, a Short Term Follow Up
Resident Presenter: Brittany A. Brower, DPM; John Peter Smith Hospital
- Minimally Invasive Distal Metatarsal Osteotomy vs Chevron Osteotomy for the Treatment of Hallux Abductovalgus: A Systematic Review Resident Presenter: Michael C. Ringwood, DPM; West Houston Medical Center
The Region also supported the following manuscript presenters:
Factors Associated with Early Loss of Hallux Valgus Correction
Resident Presenter: Evangelos M. Kyprios, DPM; Scott and White Memorial Hospital Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Lanster R. Martin, DPM; Foot and Ankle Deformity Correction Fellowship
- Factors Associated with Emergency Room Visits within 30 days after Outpatient Foot and Ankle Surgeries
Resident Presenters: Himani Patel, DPM; Colin Graney, DPM; Scott and White Memorial Hospital
Congratulations to these resident and post graduate fellow authors on their research efforts.
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their careers as foot and ankle surgeons.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo. They are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.