Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington DC and West Virginia
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Need Money for ACFAS 2019?
Local ACFAS Regions Have Funds to Support Your Research Efforts
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in February? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Regions can help!
If you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to your Region's President (names and email addresses are available on the form) by Thursday, January 31, 2019. Each Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Regions are excited to be able to support the next generation of researchers in their parts of the country.
ACFAS Mid-Atlantic Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Mid-Atlantic Region: (Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington DC and West Virginia)
The Region held a meeting of its members on March 22 in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Regional officer representation and support at the April ACFAS on the Road: In the Trenches Workshop and Seminar in Charlotte, North Carolina April 20-21
- Plan a complications seminar to be held in the summer or fall
- Encourage research within the local resident community by motivating and sponsoring research
- Plan a joint northern VA and/or DC/MD regional meeting with ACFAS
- Launch a mentorship program that will link local ACFAS members and residents
- Appoint state liaisons to assist with disseminating Regional information
Patrick Agnew, DPM, FACFAS was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo. Congratulations!
Pictured are Patrick Agnew, DPM, FACFAS and Roland Ramdass, DPM, FACFAS, Mid-Atlantic Region President
ACFAS Mid-Atlantic Region Funds Resident Poster Research at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Mid-Atlantic Region provided funding to the following residents and post graduate fellow as poster presenters at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville:
- Recurrent Giant Cell Tumor of the Distal Tibia Treated with Trabecular Metal Cones and Tibiotalocalcaneal Arthrodesis Following Intralesional Curettage
Resident Presenter: Wesley M. Leong, DPM; Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
- Surgical Management of Multiple Myeloma with Progressive Metastases to the Leg and Foot: A Case Study
Resident Presenter: Jayson N. Atves, DPM; Medstar Washington Hospital Center
- Treatment of Lisfranc Fracture Dislocation and Associated Compartment Syndrome: Single Stage Vessel Loop Technique
Resident Presenters: Amanda L. Walsh, DPM, Jessica N. Fink, DPM ; DVA Maryland Health Care System
- Local Recurrence of Acral Lentiginous Melanoma in a Split Thickness Skin Graft
Resident Presenters: Kevin R. Grierson, DPM, Kristin L. Silinski, DPM; Inova Fairfax Medical Campus
- Ankle Disarticulation and Negative Pressure Wound Therapy with Instillation: An Underutilized Approach to Staged Proximal Amputation - Case Study and Operative Technique
Resident Presenter: Kevin K. Ragothaman, DPM; MedStar Washington Hospital Center
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Paul J. Carroll, DPM, AACFAS; NOFA Foot and Ankle Reconstruction Fellowship
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenter:
- Cross-sectional Area Measurement of the Central Tarsometatarsal Articulation: A Review of Computed Tomography Scans
Resident Presenter: Ajay Ghai, DPM; Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
Congratulations to this resident and post graduate fellows on their research.