Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Midwest Region Seeking New Officer – Deadline Dec 11
Get Involved with ACFAS in Your Own Backyard!
Attention ACFAS Members of the Midwest Region, practicing in IL, IA, MN, MO and WI.
Don't miss your chance to volunteer with the College! Are you interested in helping your ACFAS Region deliver its mission:"...to help ACFAS members at the state and local level to provide superior care to foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research, and the promotion of the highest professional standards"
The Midwest Region currently has an opening in its slate of officers for a Secretary/Treasurer and is seeking a volunteer to fill this position.
Description of Responsibilities:
The Secretary/Treasurer is responsible for:
- Keeping the books of the Region;
- Providing financial oversight for Region funds;
- Compiling semi-annual financial reports to the Region Presidents Council Finance Committee;
- Assisting with leadership of the Region.
Have Questions or Interested in Volunteering?
Please submit your questions or a statement of interest and your CV to the ACFAS Membership Department by December 11. The new officers will be chosen by the Midwest Region members through an e-ballot election December, with their term commencing in February, with transition time prior the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in May. Please respond by December 11.
ACFAS Midwest Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Midwest Region: (Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin)
The ACFAS Midwest Region met on Friday, February 21 at ACFAS 2020 in San Antonio with 49 members in attendance. Bill Finn, DPM, FACFAS, Midwest Region President, led the meeting. The Region discussions included:
- ACFAS new Tiered Young Member dues
- ACFAS Midwest Region support of First-Year Resident (PGY1) free membership
- Research Grants
- ACFAS Midwest Region recognition of Donald Hugar, DPM, FACFAS for his many years of attending the Annual Scientific Conference
- ACFAS Midwest Region continued poster/manuscript support for Post Graduate Fellows and Residents
- ACFAS Midwest Region reaching out to mid-level Colleges
- ACFAS Midwest Region opportunities to support a marathon on the local level.
The Region Raffle prize winner of a $100 Amazon gift card was Michael Mankovecky, DPM, FACFAS from Green Bay, WI.
Pictured are Michael Mankovecky, DPM, FACFAS, and Bill Finn, DPM, FACFAS, Midwest Region President.
ACFAS Midwest Region Supports Student Scholars to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2020 ACFAS Region Scholars from the Midwest Region are Travis (Drew) Anderson from DMU; and Trevor Page from Scholl.
Pictured are Drew Anderson and Trevor Page with Bill Finn, DPM, FACFAS, ACFAS Midwest Region President. Congratulations to Drew and Trevor on being chosen as ACFAS 2020 Region Scholars!
ACFAS Midwest Region Funds Resident and Post Graduate Fellow Poster Research at the 2020 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the Midwest Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at the ACFAS 2020:
- Utilization of Omega 3 Fish Skin Graft In The Case of Surgical Dehiscence of A 1st MPJ Arthrodesis with Associated Osteomyelitis
Presenter: Gurleen K. Cheema, DPM
- Undifferentiated Pleomorphic Sarcoma of the Forefoot
Presenter: Benjamin G. Potter, DPM
- Intramedullary Reaming For Treating a Fibular Non-union
Presenter: Joseph G. Wilson, DPM
- Comparison of Patient-Centered Outcomes in Traditional Open and All Arthroscopic Brostrom Surgery for Lateral Ankle Instability
Presenter: Mark K. Magnus, DPM, AACFAS
- Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession: A Retrospective Analysis of Postoperative Complications and Results
Presenter: Zachary K. Janes, DPM
- Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession vs Open Gastrocnemius Recession: A Systematic Review Comparing Postoperative Complications
Robert Andrew Burdi, Jr., DPM
- Validation of the Foot and Ankle Outcome Score for Use in Infracalcaneal Heel Pain
Presenter: Christopher J. Collazo, DPM, AACFAS
- Comparison of Radiographic Measurements Before and After Triplane Tarsometatarsal Arthrodesis for Hallux Valgus
Presenter: Rachel Egdorf, DPM
- Radiographic Outcomes of Nitinol Compression Staple Constructs for First Tarsometatarsal Joint Arthrodesis
Presenter: Adam J. Buffington, DPM
- End-to-Side Nerve Transfer for Management of Chronic Anterior Leg Compartment Muscle Weakness
Presenter: Yen N. Tran, DPM
- Treatment Protocol for Peripheral Nerve Dysfunction of the Lower Extremity: A Systematic Approach
Presenter: Henry D. Spingola, III, DPM
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy as an Adjunct Therapy for Crush Injuries: A Case Series
Presenter: Candice N. Cooper, DPM
- Delta Screw Configuration for ORIF of Lisfranc Fracture/Dislocation: Surgical Technique and Patient Outcomes
Presenter: Samantha A. Luer, DPM
- Arthroscopic Evaluation of Ankle Joint Pathology in Symptomatic Hardware Removal Following Surgical Management of Ankle Fracture
Presenter: Michelle L. Winder, DPM
- Ideal Medial Malleolar Screw Length Based on the Tibial Epiphyseal Scar Location in Weight Bearing CT's
Presenter: Collin G. Messerly, DPM
- Extra Mammary Myofibroblastoma of the Foot: A Case Study
Presenter: Emily G. Keeter, DPM
- Open Treatment of Ankle Joint Synovial Chondromatosis: A Report of 2 Cases
Presenter: Garret L. Strand, DPM
The Region also supported the following manuscript presenters:
- Effects of Hallux Valgus Surgery on Balance and Gait in Middle Aged and Older Adults
Presenter: Katie Landry, DPM
- Modified Midfoot Fusion Addressing Intercuneiform Instability in Hallux Valgus Deformity
Presenter: Tyler, K, Sorensen, DPM
- Outcome Analysis of a Three-Component, Fixed-Bearing First Metatarsophalangeal Total Joint Arthroplasty: A Retrospective Study with Patient Outcome Measures
Presenter: Joshua J. Wolfe, DPM, MHA
Congratulations to these poster and manuscript authors on their research efforts.