Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri and Wisconsin
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Midwest Region Supporting Local Residents and Post-Grad Fellow Researchers
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in March? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Midwest Region can help!
If you live within the Midwest Region, you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference, and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to Dr. William Finn by Friday, March 9, 2018. The Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received, and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Midwest Region is excited to be able to support the next generation of local researchers!
ACFAS Midwest Region Supports Student Scholars to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2017 ACFAS Region Scholars from the Midwest Region are Zachary Croy, from DMU; and Alexander Lawson, from Scholl College.
Pictured are Zachary, Alexander and Bill Finn, DPM, FACFAS, ACFAS Midwest Region president. Congratulations to Zachary and Alexander on being chosen as ACFAS 2017 Region Scholars!
ACFAS Midwest Region Funds Resident and Post Graduate FellowPoster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the Midwest Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Isolated Foot Delta Frame Construct for External Fixation of Midfoot and Rearfoot Fracture-Dislocation Injuries
Resident Presenter: Mark S. Goss, DPM; HealthPartners Institute Regions Hospital
- Two View Gravity Stress Imaging Protocol for Minimally Displaced Type-II Supination External Rotation Ankle Fractures: Introducing the Gravity Stress Cross-Table Lateral View
Accuracy of Palpation to Identify the Medial Dorsal Cutaneous Nerve in Medial Column Surgery: Correlation of Preoperative Nerve Marking with Intraoperative Findings During Lapidus Fusion
Resident Presenter: Samuel Gervais, DPM; HealthPartners Institute Regions Hospital
- Anatomic Reconstruction of Complete Peroneus Longus Tendon Rupture Using Tendon Allograft and an Intraosseous Midfoot Tunnel: Case Study with Midterm Follow-up The "Toe-Tale" Sign of First Metatarsal Head Articular Cartilage Erosion
Resident Presenters: Peter J. Hordyk, DPM; Brent A. Fuerbringer, DPM; Gunderson Lutheran Medical Foundation
- Performing a Talectomy in Diabetic Ankle Charcotarthropathy: A Case Series
Resident Presenters: Jesse R. Wolfe III, DPM; Tyler J. Wishau, DPM; Neil Ermitano, DPM; Melanie Gonzalez, DPM; DePaul Health Center
- Evaluation of the Use of Multipotent Adult Progenitor (MAPC)-Class Cells on Complicated, High Risk Foot and Ankle Arthrodesis Procedures
Resident Presenters:Frank L. Narcisi, DPM; Jonathan L. Hook, DPM; Diana K. Lieder, DPM; Dana M. Garibashvili, DPM; Ridhi Mehta, DPM; Craig Wirt, DPM; Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
- WE ARE NOT DONE YET: Revisiting Calcaneal Osteotomies for Pes Planus - A Dynamic Approach
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Sarah Haller, DPM, AACFAS Weil Foot, Ankle & Orthopedic Institute Advanced Surgical Fellowship
- Early Weight Bearing Protocol in Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of Acute Jones Fractures
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Brett J. Waverly, DPM, AACFAS Weil Foot, Ankle & Orthopedic Institute Advanced Surgical Fellowship
- Minimally Invasive Approach Compared to Open Approach for Repair of Acute Achilles Tendon Ruptures: A Retrospective Review Resident Presenters:Jonathan L. Hook, DPM; Ridhi Mehta, DPM; Diana K. Lieder, DPM; Dana M. Garibashvili, DPM; Frank L. Narcisi, DPM; Craig Wirt, DPM; Mercy Hospital and Medical Center
- Long Oblique Osteotomy for Correction of Fifth Metatarsal Bowing in Tailor's Bunion Deformity
Resident Presenter: Steven R. Smith, DPM; HealthPartners Institute Regions Hospital
- The Influence of Hallux Interphalangeal Joint Range of Motion on Patient Satisfaction Following First Metatarsophalangeal Joint Fusion Resident Presenter: Steven W. Jasonowicz, DPM; Loyola University Medical Center
- Cotton Osteotomy in Flatfoot Reconstruction: A Retrospective Review of Consecutive Cases
Resident Presenter: Katherine R. Schnell, DPM
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenters:
- Hindfoot Endoscopy for Posterior Ankle Impingement Syndrome: Is There a Correlation Between Radiographs or Physical Exam with Intraoperative Findings?
Resident Presenter: Rachel B. Kang, DPM; Gunderson Lutheran Medical Foundation
- Risk Factors for Recurrence After Hammertoe Corrective Surgery
Resident Presenter: Rachel H. Albright, DPM; Advocate Il Masonic Medical Center
Congratulations to these poster and manuscript authors on their research efforts.