Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Ontario, Quebec, Rhode Island and Vermont
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events:
ACFAS Northeast Region Meeting
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Northeast Region: (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Ontario, Quebec, Rhode Island and Vermont)
Date: Friday, March 23
Location: Exhibit Hall (lunch meeting)
This information will also be listed in your onsite conference brochure.
Your Region will be holding a meeting of its members in conjunction with the ACFAS Scientific Conference in Nashville. We hope that you can join us to meet and network with your Region officers and have a hand in the upcoming year's plans for the Region.
Attend to Learn, Plan and Win!
All ACFAS members who attend their Region meetings will be placed in a Region drawing to win an Amazon Echo. Your raffle ticket will be distributed at your Region meeting.
See you in Nashville!
Northeast Region Supporting Local Residents and Post-Grad Fellow Researchers
Are you a resident or post-graduate fellow presenting a poster or manuscript at the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in March? Could you use some extra money to apply toward your travel costs? The ACFAS Northeast Region can help!
If you live within the Northeast Region, you've submitted a poster or manuscript that is accepted for presentation at the conference, and you are interested in receiving funding from your local Region, complete an application for support. Poster submitters are potentially eligible for $250, and manuscript presenters are potentially eligible for $500. Complete rules for acceptance and provision of funds can be found on the application form.
Please submit the completed form directly to Dr. Robert Fridman by Friday, March 9, 2018. The Region will determine the number of awards they can provide based on the number of submissions received, and will contact you directly with next steps.
The ACFAS Northeast Region is excited to be able to support the next generation of local researchers!
Divisions Transitioning to Regions: Thanks to Retiring Division Presidents
The 14 ACFAS regional Divisions are redistricting to nine Regions starting January 1, 2018. Many thanks to Harry Schneider, DPM, FACFAS, ACFAS New England Division 8; and Sean Keating, DPM, FACFAS, Upstate New York Division 10. Their terms end at the end of the year. Drs. Schneider and Keating attended the Division Presidents Council (DPC) meeting on October 21 in Chicago and were honored for their many years of support of ACFAS programming in their Divisions.
ACFAS Northeast Region Funds Resident Poster & Manuscript Research at ACFAS 75
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Northeast Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas.
- Primary Repair of Traumatically Severed FHL Tendon Augmented with Amniotic Placental Membrane Graft
Resident Presenters: Candace J. Masso, DPM, MetroWest Medical Center; Raymond S. Murano, DPM, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Incisional Negative Pressure Wound Therapy: Its Role in the Diabetic Foot
Resident Presenters: Justin P. Kaminski, DPM; Alison M. Migonis; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Early Results of Using the Reconstruction Limb Salvage System for Treating Charcot Arthropathy Deformities
A Retrospective Clinical Evaluation of Using Recombinant Human Platelet-Derived Growth Factor in Treatment of Charcot Arthropathy Deformities
Resident Presenter: Mike Matthews, DPM; Mount Auburn Hospital
- Modified Open Achilles Tendon Z-Lengthening, Posterior Ankle and Subtalar Joint Arthrotomy for Elimination of Ankle-Foot Orthoses with Use of a Functional Electrical Stimulation Device in Patients with Cerebral Palsy
Resident Presenter: Meredith L. Ward, DPM; St. Francis Hospital & Medical Center
- The Use of Liquid Amniotic Fluid Allograft in the Revision of 2 Subtalar Joint Fusion Nonunions in the Surgical Correction of Comminuted Calcaneal Fracture
Resident Presenters: Jana Balas, DPM; Matthew B. Engelthaler, DPM; Emily Sanphy, DPM; MetroWest Medical Center
- Navicular Avascular Necrosis: Decompressional Drilling Augmented by Demineralized Bone Matrix Gel
Resident Presenters: Candace J. Masso, DPM; Jana Balas, DPM; Tran T. Tran, DPM; Matthew B. Engelthaler, DPM; Emily Sanphy, DPM; MetroWest Medical Center
- Evaluating the Use of Cryopreserved Placental Membrane on Complex Diabetic Foot Wounds
Resident Presenters: Priya Anand, DPM; Emily M. Pepyne, DPM, MPH; Cambridge Health Alliance
- Short and Intermediate-Term Clinical Outcome of Metallic Hemiarthroplasty for Hallux Limitus and Hallux Rigidus
Resident Presenters: Tran T. Tran, DPM; Jana Balas, DPM; Candace J. Masso, DPM; Emily Sanphy, DPM; Matthew B. Engelthaler DPM; MetroWest Medical Center
- One-Year Outcome Study of Anatomic Reconstruction of Lesser Metatarsal Phalangeal Joints
Resident Presenters: Timothy A. Karthas, DPM; Michael R. Matthews, DPM; Byron N. Collier, DPM; Daniel D. Hansen, DPM; Elena S. Manning, DPM; Byron J. McKenna, DPM; Mount Auburn Hospital
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenters:
- Long-Term Outcomes of Corrective Osteotomies Utilizing Porous Titanium Wedges for Flexible Flatfoot Deformity Correction
- Development and Validation of the Foot Union Scoring Evaluation Tool (FUSET) for Arthrodesis of Foot Structures
Resident Presenters: Michael Matthews, DPM; Timothy Karthas, DPM; Daniel Hansen, DPM; Byron Collier, DPM; Mount Auburn Hospital
Congratulations to these resident poster and manuscript authors on their research efforts.