Alaska, California, Guam, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia
Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
Register Now - Pacific Region Complications Seminar
ACFAS Pacific Region Complications Course and Case Review Seminar
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Register for the Pacific Region's 4th Annual Complications and Case Review Seminar. The seminar will consist of 15-minute presentations for sharing the complication(s), differential and treatment course.
The seminar will also feature some of the more interesting cases from each residency program in the Pacific Region--all presented by the residents of the programs. Audience participation with open discussion is encouraged. Please feel free to bring your own cases for discussion.
- Identify ways to avoid and analyze complications
- Identify and apply strategies to improve patient outcomes
- Analyze case-based approaches to deal with complications
Swedish Medical Center
Cherry Hill Campus
500 17th Avenue
7-7:30am - Breakfast provided
7:30am-3pm - Seminar with lunch provided
Resident or Student: Free
ACFAS Pacific Region Member: $25
Non-ACFAS Member: $100
7 CME will be provided by Western University of Health Sciences, College of Podiatric Medicine
Register using the downloadable seminar brochure.
Contact Tony Kim, DPM, FACFAS at firstname.lastname@example.org
DISCLAIMER: The ACFAS Education & Scientific Affairs Committee has not independently evaluated the educational content or the CPME or FDA compliance requirements, therefore, any use of the ACFAS name is not to be construed as an endorsement of this program.
ACFAS Pacific Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Pacific Region: (Alaska, California, Guam, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington and British Columbia)
The Region held a meeting of its members on March 23 in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Overview of redistricting from Division to Regions
- Continued support of Resident and Post Grad Fellow Poster/Manuscript presenters at the Annual Scientific Conference
- Overview of upcoming events and support within the Region as well as over the past few months
Michael Gerrity, DPM was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo. Congratulations!
Pictured are David Aungst, DPM, FACFAS, Pacific Region President, and Michael Gerrity, DPM.
ACFAS Pacific Region Supports Student Scholars to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2018 ACFAS Region Scholars from the Pacific Region are Varsha Salunkhe from CSPM; and Brittany Mammano from Western U.
Pictured are Varsha Salunkhe and David Aungst, DPM, FACFAS, Pacific Region President. Congratulation to Varsha on being chosen as an ACFAS 2018 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Pacific Region Funds Resident Poster Research at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Pacific Region provided funding to the following residents and postgraduate fellows as poster presenters at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville:
- Management of a Deep Infection Following Total Ankle Replacement
Resident Presenter: Mallory J. Schweitzer, DPM, MHA; Franciscan Health System St Francis Hospital
- Redefining the Concept of Superconstructs for Management of Lower Extremity Charcot Neuroarthropathy Reconstruction - A Case Series
Resident Presenter: Kaitlyn L. Ward, DPM; Franciscan Health System St Francis Hospital
- Unassisted Reduction and Splinting Technique for Ankle Injuries
Resident Presenters: Michael A. Gerrity, DPM; Adam Killpack, DPM; Swedish Medical Center
- Utilization of a Peroneus Brevis Muscle Flap for Calcaneal Fat Pad Atrophy Secondary to Radiation Treatment: A Case Report and Treatment Course
Resident Presenters: Amanda Kamery, DPM; Kaitlyn L. Ward, DPM; Franciscan Health System St Francis Hospital
- Staged Treatment of a Plantar Midfoot Ulceration with Use of a Hemisoleus Muscle Flap, Application of External Fixation and Split Thickness Skin Graft
Resident Presenters: Stephanie A. Oexeman, DPM; Mallory J. Schweitzer, DPM, MHA; Franciscan Health System St Francis Hospital
- Management of Anterior Ankle Wound Dehiscence with Exposed Bone and Hardware Following Tibial Talocalcaneal Arthrodesis with a Hemisoleus Muscle Flap
Resident Presenters: Kelsey J. Millonig, DPM; Amanda Kamery, DPM; Franciscan Health System St Francis Hospital
- Surgical Management of Symptomatic Os Vaselianum: A Case Series
Resident Presenters: Piroska Schlesinger, DPM; Cindy Lin, DPM; Legacy Health Kaiser Permanente
- Hemangiomas of the Foot
Resident Presenter: Kyle Kenoyer, DPM; Madigan Army Medical Center
- Total Ankle Replacement in Severe Varus Deformed Ankles: Utility of a Staged Approach
Resident Presenters: Brian S. Rougeux, DPM; Midori Higashi, DPM; Swedish Medical Center
- SPECT CT in Identifying Periprosthetic Pathology Following Painful Total Ankle Replacement
Resident Presenter: Ryan James Schwanke, DPM; Drew A. Bekins, DPM; Swedish Medical Center
- Early Protected Weightbearing in Patients who Underwent Ankle Fracture Open Reduction and Internal Fixation with Syndesmotic Fixation: A Retrospective Case Series
Resident Presenters: Matthew D. Doyle, DPM, MS; Francesca M. Castellucci-Garza, DPM; Kaiser SF Bay Area Foot and Ankle
- Joint Sparing Technique for Complex Hammertoe Repair
Resident Presenter: Midori Higashi, DPM; Swedish Medical Center
Congratulations to these poster authors on their research efforts.
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their career as a foot and ankle surgeon.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.