Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Southeast Region New Officer Elected
Dear ACFAS Southeast Region Members:
With the recent Southeast Region Call for Volunteers process, one ACFAS member submitted his interest, and is now the new ACFAS Southeast Region Secretary/Treasurer:
Teddy Musselman, DPM, FACFAS
Congratulations to Dr. Musselman. His term will commence at the Southeast Region Membership Meeting at the 2020 Annual Scientific Conference.
ACFAS Southeast Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Southeast Region: (Florida, Georgia and Puerto Rico)
The ACFAS Southeast Region met on Friday, February 21 at ACFAS 2020 in San Antonio with 23 members in attendance. Andre Williams, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region President, led the meeting. The Region discussions included:
- ACFAS Southeast Region poster/manuscript support for Post Graduate Fellows and Residents
- ACFAS 2020 Conference information
The Region Raffle prize winner of a $100 Amazon gift card was Andrew McCoy, DPM from North Miami Beach, FL.
ACFAS Southeast Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2020 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Southeast Region is Karissa Badillo from Barry University.
Pictured are Karissa Baillo and Andre WIlliams, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region president. Congratulations to Karissa on being chosen as an ACFAS 2020 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Southeast Region Funds Resident Poster Research at the 2020 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Southeast Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at ACFAS 2020:
- Novel Technique of Intraosseous Arteriogram to Evaluate Talar Viability After High-Energy Trauma (1st Place Award Winner - Case Studies)
Presenter: Vikram A. Bala, DPM
- Revisional Management of Charcot Arthropathy: Tibiocalcaneal Arthrodesis via Intramedullary Fibular Allograft
Presenter: Andrew C. McCoy, DPM
- Posterior Approach for Total Ankle Replacement
Presenter: Gregory A. Foote, DPM
- Long Term Outcomes of The "All-Inside" Arthroscopic Brostrom Procedure: A Retrospective Review
Presenter: Charles A. Sisovsky, DPM, AACFAS
- A Comparison of Tarsal Tunnel Incision Site Healing with and without Amniotic Allograft
Presenter: Stephanie M. Kane, DPM
- Lateral Ankle Sprain Risk Differs Between Occupations in the Combat Elements and Branches of the United States Armed Forces
Presenter: Mark A. Dreyer, DPM, FACFAS
- Open vs. Minimally Invasive Bunion Correction: Meta-analysis and Systematic Review
Presenter: Morgan E. Garcia, DPM
- Average Correction of the Weil Metatarsal Osteotomy: An Extensive Radiographic Analysis
Presenter: Conor R. Keeley, DPM
- Functional and Radiographic Outcomes Following Minimally Invasive Bunion Correction
Presenter: Travis M. Johnson, DPM
- Clinical outcomes of surgical decompression of the Common Peroneal nerve (CPN), Superficial Peroneal nerve (SPN), Deep Peroneal nerve (DPN), and Tarsal Tunnel (TT) release in the diabetic and non-diabetic population
Presenter: Julio D. Perez-Mustelier, DPM
- The Placental Parachute: A Novel Surgical Approach To Midfoot Charcot Ulcerations
Presenter: Michael E. Calderone, DPM, AACFAS
The Region also supported the following manuscript presenter:
- Evaluation of BMI with an All Inside Arthroscopic Brostrom Procedure
Presenter: Charles A. Sisovsky, DPM, AACFAS
Congratulations to these poster and manuscript presenters on their research efforts!
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their career as a foot and ankle surgeon.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws, and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.