Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Southeast Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2017 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Southeast Region is Elizabeth Ansert from Barry University.
Pictured are Elizabeth and Alan MacGill, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region president. Congratulations to Elizabeth on being chosen as an ACFAS 2017 Division Scholar!
ACFAS Southeast Region Funds Resident Poster Research at ACFAS 2017
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Southeast Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2017 Annual Scientific Conference in Las Vegas:
- Transcalcaneal Talonavicular Dislocation Secondary to a Boating Explosion: A Case Report
Resident Presenter: Martina Randall, DPM; Palmetto General Hospital
- Aneurysms: Not Just A Brain Thing, a Rare Vascular Malformation of the Foot
Resident Presenters: Kyle Mauk, DPM; Jeffrey Brimmer, DPM; Amanda Kohut, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
- Treatment of Early Stage Freiberg Disease with a Lesser Metatarsal Head Implant
Lateral Transfer of the Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendon for Treatment of Concomitant Peroneal Tendon Tears
Resident Presenters: Vilayvanh Saysoukha, DPM, MS; Sohan P. Patel, DPM; Northwest Medical Center
- Limb Salvage After Avascular Necrosis of the Talus via Pseudoarthrosis Between the Tibia and Calcaneus
Resident Presenters: Ralph Ramos, DPM; Gabriel Santamarina, DPM; Mercy Hospital;
- Comparison of Complication Rates in Open Versus Endoscopic Gastrocnemius Recession: Retrospective Chart Review
Resident Presenter: Richard C. Harris III, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
- Effect of Surgical Incision Closure on Skin Perfusion and Dehiscence Following Total Ankle Arthroplasty
Resident Presenters: Ann M. Davis, DPM; Mark Vaughn, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
The Region also supported the following postgraduate fellow manuscript presenter:
- Analysis of Two Different Arthroscopic Brostrom Repair Constructs for Treatment of Chronic Lateral Ankle Instability in 110 Patients
Postgraduate Fellow Presenter: Britton Plemmons, DPM, AACFAS; Florida Orthopedics Foot & Ankle Fellowship
Congratulations to these poster and manuscript presenters on their research efforts.
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their career as a foot and ankle surgeon.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws, and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.