Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Southeast Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2018 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Southeast Region is Misha Tavaf from Barry University.
Pictured are Misha and Alan MacGill, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region president. Congratulations to Misha on being chosen as an ACFAS 2018 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Southeast Region Funds Resident Poster Research at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Southeast Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2018 Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville:
- Chronic Post-Traumatic Ankle Pain Treated With A Total Ankle Revision System
Resident Presenter: Richard C. Harris, III, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
- Correction of Tibial Varum and CavoVarus Deformity Secondary to Traumatic Incident
Resident Presenter: Rishad S. Ahmed, DPM; Palmetto General Hospital
- Masquerading Malignancy: A Pedal Synovial Sarcoma
Resident Presenter: Amanda M. Kohut, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
- Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) Secondary to a Diabetic Foot Infection in a HIV Positive Patient. A Case Report and Review of Literature
Resident Presenters: Yusuf A. Opakunle, DPM; Sara E. Lewis, DPM; Dekalb Medical Center
- Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma Secondary to Chronic Osteomyelitis
Lesser Digit Schwannoma: A Case Report
Resident Presenters: Keval Parikh, DPM; Michael J. Price, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
- Short-term Outcomes Following Total Ankle Replacement: A Retrospective Chart Review
Resident Presenters: Richard C. Harris III, DPM; Patrick M. Donovan, DPM; Gregory A. Foote, DPM; UF Health Jacksonville
- Relationship between Diabetes Mellitus and Complications in Total Ankle Arthroplasty
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Steven M. Douthett, DPM, AACFAS; Florida Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Center Fellowship
- Preliminary Results of the First 30 Patient Outcomes Following One Surgeon's Experience with Arthroscopically Aided Modified Brostrom Repair of the Anterior Talofibular Ligament
Resident Presenter: Natalie K. Hoffman, DPM; JFK Medical Center
- Evaluation of Plain Film Radiographs and CT Scans to Determine Which Imaging Modality is More Reliable for Showing Bony Fusion of Rearfoot Joints Following Arthrodesis
Resident Presenter: Harshil Patel, DPM; Bethesda Memorial Hospital
- External Fixation for the Management of Complicated Tibial Fractures
Resident Presenter: Hamed Jafary, DPM; Jackson North Medical Center
- Publication Rates for Oral Manuscript and Poster Presentations from the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons: 2010-2014
Resident Presenters: Calvin J. Rushing, DPM; Gabriel P. Galan, DPM; Adam J. Oxios, DPM; Viraj R. Rathnayake, DPM; Westside Medical Center
- Comparison of Two Common Imaging Modalities for Evaluation of Fusion following First Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint Arthrodesis
Resident Presenters: JennaLou Hollnagel, DPM; Harshil Patel, DPM; Bethesda Memorial Hospital
- Decreased Recurrence Rate with 1st Metatarsal to Intermediate Cuneiform Screw Fixation Compared to Traditional Fixation in the Lapidus Bunionectomy
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Ali Rahnama, DPM; The Southeast Permanente Foot & Ankle Trauma & Reconstructive Surgical Fellowship
- Treatment of Inter-metatarsal Neuroma With Decompression and Transposition to Metatarsal Phalangeal Joint Capsule
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Melissa Hurwitz, DPM, AACFAS; Family Foot and Leg Center Reconstructive and Limb Salvage Fellowship
The Region also supported the following postgraduate fellow manuscript presenter:
- Lower Extremity Surgical Cast Management: A Review of 537 Cases Reporting Incidence of Surgical Site Complications Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Timothy A Graeser, DPM, AACFAS; Pediatric and Adult Foot & Ankle Surgical Fellowship
Congratulations to these poster and manuscript presenters on their research efforts.
ACFAS Southeast Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Southeast Region: (Florida, Georgia and Puerto Rico)
The Region held a meeting of its members in conjunction with the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference in Nashville. Major discussion points, goals and outcomes include:
- Overview of the redistricting from Divisions to Regions
- Discussion of Money allocation
- Discussion of future plans for a complications course within the Region
- Continuing to support students with officer visitation to Barry
Congratulations to Jeffrey Brimmer, DPM, AACFAS who was selected from attendees as the winner of the prize drawing for an Amazon Echo!
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their career as a foot and ankle surgeon.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws, and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.