Recent Activity and Upcoming Events
ACFAS Southeast Region Meeting Outcomes
ACFAS Membership Meeting - Southeast Region: (Florida, Georgia and Puerto Rico)
The Southeast Region held a membership meeting on Thursday, February 14 during ACFAS 2019 in New Orleans. More than 20 members attended the event. Several topics were discussed:
- Region support and where the money goes
- Decrease in the number of podiatric school applicants
- The College's push for more research
The Region meeting raffle prize of a $100 Amazon gift card winner was Christine Palma, DPM, a Resident member from Jacksonville, FL.
Pictured are Christine Palma, DPM, and Alan A. MacGill, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region President.
ACFAS Southeast Region Supports Student Scholar to the Annual Scientific Conference
ACFAS Region Scholars are funded by the ACFAS Region Presidents Council, specifically their home Regions, and are usually the president-elect of their local ACFAS Student Club. Their local Regions honor them as future leaders of the profession. The 2019 ACFAS Region Scholar from the Southeast Region is Justin Carney from Barry University.
Pictured are Justin Carney, Misha Tavaf (2018 Region Scholar), and Alan MacGill, DPM, FACFAS, Southeast Region president. Congratulations to Justin on being chosen as an ACFAS 2019 Region Scholar!
ACFAS Southeast Region Funds Resident Poster Research at the 2019 Annual Scientific Conference
In an effort to support research activities, the ACFAS Southeast Region provided funding to the following residents as poster presenters at the 2019 Annual Scientific Conference in New Orleans:
- Evaluation of BMI with an all inside Arthroscopic Broström Procedure
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Colin T. Graney, DPM, AACFAS, Florida Orthopedic Foot & Ankle Center Fellowship
- Radiographic Analysis of the Origin of the Plantar Fascia
Resident Presenter: Gregory A. Foote, DPM, UF Health Jacksonville
- A Classification to Guide Surgical Treatment of Brachymetatarsia
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: Jordan James Ernst, DPM, MS, Foot and Ankle Deformity Correction Fellowship
- Repair of Recalcitrant Neuroma Surgery with Use of Nerve Allograft Conduit
Resident Presenter: Saluja Mahabamunuge, DPM, DVA - Atlanta
- The Need for Advanced Imaging Modalities for Missed Anterior Calcaneal Process Fractures
Resident Presenter: Kevin A. Tootle, DPM, Bethesda Health East Hospital
- Outcomes and Long-Term Follow Up of Bunion Correction with Modified Peabody (Lam) Bunionectomy
Post Graduate Fellow Presenter: April I. Nelson, DPM, AACFAS, FFLC Reconstructive & Limb Salvage Surgical Fellowship
- Leiomyosarcoma - A Case Report of a Rare Pedal Soft Tissue Mass Malignancy
Resident Presenter: Jeremy A. Jung, DPM, Florida Hospital East Orlando
- NAILED IT! - Dynamic Medial Column Beaming via Flexible Fibular Intramedullary Nail
Resident Presenter: Christine C. Palma, DPM, UF Health Jacksonville
- Tibia-through-Fibula: A Novel Anatomic Repair Technique for the Distal Tibiofibular Syndesmosis
Resident Presenter: Amanda M. Kohut, DPM, UF Health Jacksonville
- Unstable Chopart Joint following Talonavicular Dislocation: Comparison of Conservative and Surgical Management
Resident Presenter: Joseph Watson, DPM, Palmetto General Hospital
- Fifth Metatarsal Base Fractures and Sural Neuritis
Resident Presenter: Robby John Caballes, DPM, Bethesda Health East Hospital
- Blown Back to Proportion: Balloon Kyphoplasty for Reduction of Cuboid Compression Fracture with Impeding Tendon Interposition
Resident Presenter: Morgan E. Garcia, DPM, UF Health Jacksonville
- Surgical Management of Ulcerative Calcinosis Cutis in the Lower Extremity
Resident Presenter: Alton R. Johnson Jr., DPM, Aventura Hospital and Medical Center
The Region also supported the following resident manuscript presenter:
- The Effect of Varying Magnitudes of Applied Clamp Force on the Coronal Plane Reduction of the Ankle Syndesmosis: A Cadaveric Study.
Presenter: Calvin J. Rushing, DPM, Westside Regional Medical Center
Congratulations to these poster and manuscript presenters on their research efforts.
A portion of ACFAS member dues is allocated for Region activities. Regions use these funds to further the goals of ACFAS at the state and local level: to promote the superior care of foot and ankle surgical patients through education, research and promotion of the highest professional standards. Regions also work on outreach to students and residents, helping to give them a successful start in their career as a foot and ankle surgeon.
Regions are affiliate organizations of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. They are granted a charter and license to use the ACFAS name and logo, are mandated by their own articles of incorporation and bylaws, and remain separate entities from the parent organization.
For more information about Region activities, please contact Michelle Kennedy, ACFAS Director of Membership and Post Graduate Affairs.