Elizabeth Hewitt, DPM, FACFAS
Other Program Faculty:
Macaira Dyment, DPM, FACFAS
Drew Belpedio, DPM, FACFAS
Karl Fulkert, DPM, FACFAS
Sarah Viselli, DPM, FACFAS
Anastasia Koss, DPM
Tiffany Liu, DPM
Post Graduate Fellow:
2022-2023: Ryan De Leon, DPM
2021-2022: Harsh Amin, DPM, AACFAS
2020-2021: Nikul Panchal, DPM
Foot and Ankle Physicians of Ohio
1325 Stringtown Road
Grove City, OH 43123
Phone: (614) 782-3668
Fax: (614) 782-3674
Number of Positions:
Program Start and End Dates:
August 1 – July 31
ACFAS Standard Fellowship Application Form
Grove City, Ohio
- Fellows are responsible to produce one publishable paper per year to be submitted to an accredited journal.
- Fellows are required to present one poster presentation to the ACFAS Annual Scientific Conference.
- More research opportunities available and encouraged, however these are the minimum requirements.
Program Summary/Training Goals:
- Foot and Ankle Physicians of Ohio (FAPO) strongly believe in the importance of education in its fellowship. Education occurs through multiple modalities in order to ensure the fellowship exceeds the goals as outlined by ACFAS.
- Education and training occur through direct firsthand experience. The fellowship consists of individual attention and hands on training with attending physicians. Additionally, exposure to physical therapy, coding/billing, and brace/orthotic fabrication is provided. While assigned to cover a particular attending’s services, the fellow will cover that surgeon’s surgical cases and clinic. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis, in order to facilitate a broad surgical experience. Preparation and discussion prior to cases are expected.
- Fellows have an opportunity to further their clinical skills while running the fellow’s foot and ankle service. Clinical and surgical services are provided by the fellow at these times under the close supervision of attendings.
- There are weekly didactic radiology/indications conferences. These allows fellows to lean to critically evaluate radiographs of the foot and ankle, but also gain an understanding of surgical indications for particular foot and ankle conditions.
- A monthly Journal Club is held with attendings as well as outside surgeons and the fellow. Journal Club is a multidisciplinary conference involving community foot and ankle providers which covers the latest articles relating to the particular subject matter. This improves the fellows understanding of a particular topic and allows for more familiarity with current literature. It also improves fellow’s ability to critically analyze a journal article.
- The textbook “Surgery of the Foot and Ankle” by Coughlin and Mann is covered through out the year. Each week, the fellow and attending whose service the fellow is on discuss key concepts of the book with the goal of covering the entire textbook by the end of the academic year.
- The fellow is responsible for teaching and active in community outreach. Fellows prepare a lecture each month which is presented to premed and medical students rotating through the FAPO office. FAPO believes one of the best way to learn about a particular topic is teaching it. Regular lectures also allow fellows to improve their lecture and public speaking skills. Fellows also volunteer their time with attendings at the Franklin County Board of Health Free Clinic quarterly. Here attendings and fellows provide services to the uninsured community.
- Research through out the fellowship year is strongly encouraged. Biomechanical and clinical research opportunities are available. A minimum of one research project is required for submission to a peer review journal, and presentation at the annual ACFAS meeting. All projects are developed under the supervision of an attending physician and approved by the director.
- Fellows attend both regional and national educational conferences. The Annual ACFAS Scientific Conference is mandatory to attend. Cadaver Lab is held on a bimonthly basis at our facility in Grove City Ohio. Fellows will graduate having been validated on a minimum of two total ankle replacement systems.